Thread: Boosted 454 lsx swap!! Help me get this thing to start and idle

Advanced Tuner

Boosted 454 lsx swap!! Help me get this thing to start and idle

So I just dropped a 454 LSX engine in a 03 Silverado that came with a 4.8 and added a Procharger to boot. Should be a blast once it's up and running. Truck is being tuned in SD and my tweaks haven't had any success yet.

I don't know the cam specs but I'm assuming they are pretty big with it being a 454 and all. I started around 15 g/s idle airflow and have been steadily climbing all the way to mid 20s and it still doesn't want to idle right. No codes except for a battery charging issue and some misfires (from the cam most likely).

Also, it won't start without giving it throttle. I've been steadily adding to the friction airflow initial. From like 4 to 18 now and it still doesn't seem to start right.

Keep in mind I just climbed on these numbers 10-15% at a time. Did I overshoot it? Is there another field I should be trying?

More timing? I'm kind of lost here because these numbers seem like they're getting out of control yet it's still not running. On the other hand we're going from a 4.8 to a 7.4

JUAN454LSX.017.hptJUAN454LSX.016.hptJUAN454LSX.015.hpt

Tuner
    Can you describe your idling issue a bit more? Is it running too high of an idle or stalling? I am working on this right now, same CI engine. It can be a number of things including the size of the throttle body and IAC.

Advanced Tuner
    I think the tune got way out of whack. Pulled the plugs and they were all black so I went back and started from the beginning again thinking that would do the trick. Trucks starts for a second and the idle comes up like it should and then it drops to around 500-600 and then dies just like before. Never gets fully warmed up and ready to hold idle. usually I would just add air to the base airflow table. I did that until the numbers got comical and it never changed anything.

Why code P0103 set to no error reported, it should be MIL on first error so it goes straight to speed density.

Disable VATS too.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Why code P0103 set to no error reported, it should be MIL on first error so it goes straight to speed density.

Disable VATS too.
    I was trying to avoid a code, is that a must to get SD to kick in?

Advanced Tuner
    Well I did try that with a few other tweaks and the truck started and ran until I shut it off so that's at least going in the right direction. See the latest tune and the scan. The ltft's are showing 20% but the stft are showing -20%. What do you guys make of that? Should I be adding fuel or taking it away?
    You can see in the scan when i hit the throttle it'll rev to a point and then bog. It won't rev freely
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by JASON11WS6; 06-10-2021 at 02:28 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    So it seems the ltft just needed to be reset. Truck started and idled fine today but was actually a little rich. Made some adjustments and now its ready for the dyno. Thanks 5FDP, not sure if that was the trick or not but between turning the vats off, changing the cel and adding some timing it was good to go.