Thread: Check over my Tune (H/C C5Z06)

Check over my Tune (H/C C5Z06)

Tune is pretty much done. Only thing I'm still battling is cold idle issues. It fires up fine but doesn't maintain an idle very well, but does fine when it's warmed up. I think I missed an airflow table somewhere for idle. or something doesn't match.

But anyway. It runs great, no KR, timing is somewhat conservative at 26* WOT region.
    VE is somewhat smooth (I tend to side more with 'give it what it wants' mentality)

I didn't craft this from scratch (i'm not that good) but I found a tune that would start and run and I fixed the VE and MAF tables to fit my setup. I messed with some other stuff too, copied missfire tables from another h/c c5 build since my PO300 wouldn't stay off. I'm out of fuel which I'll address soon, but just looking to have the rest of the crowd look this over and see if I missed anything major. I'm thinking of throwing in a set of TR6 plugs. Car sees HPDE/Rallies a couple times a year.

DETAILS:
    2002 C5 Z06 M6
    BTR Stage 2 cam
    hand ported stock 243 heads (lightly cleaned up)
    1 7/8" LTs ORX
    stock LS6 intake
    ported TB
    Halltech CAI
    Stock 85mm MAF w Halltech screen
    Stock fuel system (93 pump gas)
    Tr55 Plugs

Z06 H_C_running good 2_idle work_spark.hpt
    Solid drive_runs Great_ Tune done.hpl
    Last edited by Bayer-Z28; 06-11-2021 at 08:28 AM.
    2002 Z06 corvette. Heads cam. The usual.

Senior Tuner
    The VE table is still pretty messy. I would clean it up a bit. But the problem with the cold idle is the Open Loop EQ table. I would copy one from a 2002 Silverado 5.3L truck to start with. It'll idle much better on a cold start then. Your idle airflow table looks to be lower than stock as well. But that could be due to the ported TB.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    The VE table is still pretty messy. I would clean it up a bit. But the problem with the cold idle is the Open Loop EQ table. I would copy one from a 2002 Silverado 5.3L truck to start with. It'll idle much better on a cold start then. Your idle airflow table looks to be lower than stock as well. But that could be due to the ported TB.
    Ahhh some good insight. I?m going to mess w those now. It?s cold so I can test it out. Thank you!

And what tips are there for getting solid idle airflow numbers? Correction factor I can setup?
    Last edited by Bayer-Z28; 06-11-2021 at 04:51 PM.

Check the VE table. I did some smoothing. I figure the Fuel trims will make up some differences there.
    I changed the OL EQ table to that of a 5.3.

Z06 H_C_running good 3_idle_VE.hpt

It idled a lot better (didn't want to die after I hit the throttle when it comes back down, but was almost a hanging idle at 1150 and 25* of timing with 15.5 AFR. So I added some fuel under 155*. It seemed to level out at 155, then CL commanded showed it came on. Nothing changes the timing for some reason.

And another thing, the scanner doesn't save my logs if I don't. I was told it's supposed to, like if you accidentally click record again. I've lost some extensive scans that way.

Tuner in Training
    I think you are going to need larger injectors. Log shows up to 125% injector duty cycle. Normal recommended limit is 80%. Might be ok if just using on the street, but if you do HPDE, etc then you risk overheating/damaging the injectors if you spend too much time over 80%. Most important thing if you do get injectors is to make sure you have good injector data to go along with them. Best on the market (great data) are Injector Dynamics.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Corvette View Post
    I think you are going to need larger injectors. Log shows up to 125% injector duty cycle. Normal recommended limit is 80%. Might be ok if just using on the street, but if you do HPDE, etc then you risk overheating/damaging the injectors if you spend too much time over 80%. Most important thing if you do get injectors is to make sure you have good injector data to go along with them. Best on the market (great data) are Injector Dynamics.
    Yeah I?m aware. I?ll do a pump first and see how it goes. I?ll have to install a pressure gauge and monitor it. If it keeps diving I?ll do a full return system. Best off locking the fuel pressure at 60# and see how it works out then I can get a no BS guesstimate of how much I can stretch these injectors. I?m not expecting them to last but if I h e fuel pressure issues anyway, new injectors will just mask the issue.
    Or I can just get some data from the MAF and covert to Lb/hr over Stoich.
    Last edited by Bayer-Z28; 06-12-2021 at 04:10 PM.

I don?t know why it keeps putting a question mark. I can?t fix that lol