Thread: 2004 F150 5.4 Black Oak Knock Retard Parameter

Potential Tuner

Question 2004 F150 5.4 Black Oak Knock Retard Parameter

I'm trying to build a knock retard chart and cannot find a parameter that shows spark retard or knock retard. The only thing I see is knock sensor 1 and knock sensor 2 which are listed as a voltage.

Is spark retard or knock retard a supported parameter on the 2004 f150 using a ECM (0x7E0) black Oak 1472K ECM?

Has anybody built a chart successfully that monitors spark retard that they would share?

Thank you
    Last edited by kevin.cherry; 06-11-2021 at 01:32 PM. Reason: voice to text errors

Advanced Tuner
    Knock sensor voltage is the only channel available on that model.
    You have to watch spark advance for Retard or timing that is less than what you're commanding to see if yout sensors are retarding. Watch for dips in your chart. It's really not difficult watching for KR when WOT. Low/mid load are what needs attention if you increase timing in those areas.

The only histogram I think could help you is to make one of borderline with spark advance populating in the cells. Then change the view of the histogram to view minimum values or to view a particular time frame. Compare the histogram with your borderline and MBT tables, taking spark modifiers into consideration. If timing is less than both tables you could have KR.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the help, I'll give it a shot in a bit.

Is this a limitation with the ECM, or in HP Tuners? If its HP, then I enter a ticket requesting it to be added.

Thanks