Thread: new to tuning not seeing If cars pulling timing or not

Potential Tuner

new to tuning not seeing If cars pulling timing or not

I'm new to the tuning game/hptuners, i did my first log on my 05 c6 ls2 with vararam and when viewing i noticed its not recording knock retard at all or its just not pulling any timing which i guess is possible but doesn't seem right, Am i missing something? i up loaded the log so someone can let me know if i need to enable something to record the KR or its just not an issue?
    thanks guys
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2005 c6
    z-51 manual
    vararam
    axle back

It's currently not being logged.

Add the knock retard and the burst knock channel to the main channels list of the left, then it will start showing if it knock events are happening. From the looks of it, there is something happening with the way the timing moves around under heavy throttle.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    and any thoughts on the log, what looks good and what needs adjusting would be great just to see if im heading in the right direction? thanks again
    2005 c6
    z-51 manual
    vararam
    axle back

Potential Tuner
    ok thanks figured something wasnt recording i'll get it figured out and log some more and start over cuz obviously that log isnt gonna do much good lol
    2005 c6
    z-51 manual
    vararam
    axle back

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by JJB77 View Post
    ok thanks figured something wasnt recording i'll get it figured out and log some more and start over cuz obviously that log isnt gonna do much good lol
    Were you able to get it figured out? This is what I typically log (C6 GS, LS3):
    C6_GS sensors to log.PNG

I didn't add burst knock (disabled it in my tune) but you'll probably want to add that as well. If you want, post your tune file too. I noticed you're running 15-16 degrees of timing. I'm assuming it is pulling some timing due to the intake air temp table. Assuming the tune is roughly stock, you'll probably see a max of 20 degrees or so. If you aren't getting knock and are running decent fuel (93/91), you could try bumping timing up a little, from 20 to 24 degrees perhaps to start, then smaller bumps after that.

Because you aren't boosted, you could potentially run into an issue where you increase timing it eventually levels off on the power level and then starts hurting power. If you don't have access to a dyno, you could try checking your acceleration (thus power) between 3000-6500 RPMs to compare. For example, see how long it takes you to go from 3000-6500 RPMs (or use a MPH figure). A Dragy GPS unit would be good to measure performance, but you can look at time stamps in your log to compare. See how fast you did 50-65 in 2nd, for example, add timing, try again, etc.

If you can log engine torque figures you may compare against those. They may not be 100% accurate, but if you increase power by a few percent then engine torque should also come up by a few percent. You can even use that figure to add a horsepower gauge to get a rough idea of where you're at. If you log engine torque and RPM, you can make a custom math parameter and use this expression: ([50108.127] * [12.56])/ 5252. Add that math parameter as a gauge called HP and it should give you a rough idea of where you're at, and at least let you compare changes between runs. If you want a final and more accurate number, you'll want to get on a real dyno.

If you ever have trouble trying to figure out if you have real knock or not, dump in some Boostane to increase your octane quite a bit. If it reduces or goes away, it is most likely real knock and you should adjust your timing down accordingly.

Hope this helps you a little bit with getting started in tuning.