Thread: 2007 8.1 Workhorse with Allsion 6 speed tuning

Potential Tuner

Red face 2007 8.1 Workhorse with Allsion 6 speed tuning

Hey Guys.
    I am new to the Forum so it might be that i ask well known questions but i couldn't find the answers in the history.

We put a 2007 8.1 workhorse with 6 speed Allison in my 1982 Airstream.
    It runs okay but there are things i want to change but things don't response as expected.

is there a kinda course i can view?

some examples.

the timing table that i alter, low and high octane are filled in with values that seems a good start to me based on expereince, but when i log it there are values that are nowhere in the map.
    full throttle at 1800 rpm it goes back to 17 degrees or less while the map is at 24 or higher.
    i tried to tae off all restrictions and it runs on octane 95 or Lpg which is 105 or higher.
    i do have a malfunction on the nocsensor frequenty, probably cause i had te relocate it but i put everything to zero.
    So it is unclear to me why it responses so very different than the map, also atfull throttle 3500 rpm it suddenly goes up to 39 degrees while the map is filled in at 30 ish

second is that the fuel table is not as i am used to
    i see lambda values but they must be calculated since a smallband can never meassure richer areas.
    As far as i can see there are no injection time maps

i would like it closed loop up to 50% throttle and richer open loop above that but no decent result yet

further is there the allison, it shifts up at 2100 rpm with low throttle but that can be 1500 rpm for me, or related speed.

i tried to chnge it in the gears but that didnt go well, it started reving up between gears

I normally do stand alone ecu's and now the basics when it is in normal language to me but this is 1 i would love to learn.

don't mind paying for a good explanation,i accepted that trial and error doesn't bring me where i want to be.

thans in advance, Grts Buddy
    Attached Files Attached Files

You are not logging the knock retard channel in the main channels list on the left hand side. So you can see if there is knock happening.

If there is a problem with the knock sensors then it will automatically pull lots of timing under heavy load. So if even you are asking for 24 degrees of timing it will pull timing and that is why you may only see 16 or 17 degrees.

Also this engine is very lean. The long term fuel trims are +25% all the time and that is not good at all. Either you have a vacuum leak or there is not enough fuel pressure.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for responding.

I will log the knocksensors next time but i put all te knock related actions i could find to zero.
    and i can imagine the retarding has something to do with it but don't think the advancing at full throttle is related, or does it advance up to knocking all the time?

The long term changes could have something to do with the fact that it is a complete loom/ecu kit with my diff gear and tire size integrated in it.
    For instance, i noticed that the "fail safe" map for the airflow meter has totally different values than the ones i log while driving.
    Don't know if it has anything to do with it but i would like to understand how it all works so i can make a nice map.

What values is best to log to get a better idea of what can be improved?

It fits on the dyno when needed with its ass sticking out the door but i want to do that when the changes i make are also the ones i see back in the log...

grts Buddy

Potential Tuner
    i think i got the fuel part.
    the text popping up confused me but altering the ve map does the trick.

The main thing confusing me now is that at little load the timing is as expexted, partial load it seems stuck at 21 degrees and above 60ish percent it goes back to expected values.
    anyone who can tell me which setting that is?
    Attached Files Attached Files