Thread: 2019 F-150 10R80 skip shift

Tuner

2019 F-150 10R80 skip shift

How can I disable the skip shifting feature? I?ve copied over the sport table and set the shift points really high for those shifts and neither have worked. Sport mode must be calling on another table to eliminate the skip shifting.

The 3 to 5 shift is horrible and I can?t seem to get it lined out. Maybe it?s pulling too much spark on the ECM side, which I haven?t messed with yet? Any help eliminating the skip shifting, or even getting the tune lined out so my truck doesn?t fall on its face during the 3 to 5 shift would be greatly appreciated. I?d attach a log file, but you can?t tell which shift is what?the ?current gear? channel still shows to be a general sensor and I can?t get it to report the current gear. These Ford?s are so much more complex than my old GMC Denali.
    2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4x4

I pulled this from a 2019 Lariat 3.5 F-150 tune file, but if you look at the Sport Mode, the 3-5 OSS values are way high so it should never do a 3-5 in Sport mode. If you do the same on your Base shift table (on the left), it should get rid of it. The gearing on the newer Ford transmissions are jacked up, like the 8F57 and the 10R80/10R60 has 1 or 2 too many gears for EcoBoost on the drag strip. I would love to have the extra OD gear on my 6 speed though.

Skip Shift.JPG

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
    I pulled this from a 2019 Lariat 3.5 F-150 tune file, but if you look at the Sport Mode, the 3-5 OSS values are way high so it should never do a 3-5 in Sport mode. If you do the same on your Base shift table (on the left), it should get rid of it. The gearing on the newer Ford transmissions are jacked up, like the 8F57 and the 10R80/10R60 has 1 or 2 too many gears for EcoBoost on the drag strip. I would love to have the extra OD gear on my 6 speed though.
    Thanks! I’ve changed those values to 10,000 at each skip shift and it still does it. Doing the direct copy/paste from the my sport table also still resulted in skip shifting…ugh. Do the OSS tables get impacted by one of the TOT vs accelerator pedal % tables maybe? When doing my testing, my trans rarely gets above 184F, which seems to be the breaking point at when the trans does commanded actions vs predictive, if that makes sense.

Did you try making the change to the other shift schedules like 4x4/4x4L, ABS, Eco, DSC, etc as well as Base?

Mud, Sand, Snow, Tow/Haul are self explanatory, but I was always paranoid about the others and would make my Base shift schedule changes to those as well. I see the F-150 adds an "Eco" shift schedule table.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
    Did you try making the change to the other shift schedules like 4x4/4x4L, ABS, Eco, DSC, etc as well as Base?

Mud, Sand, Snow, Tow/Haul are self explanatory, but I was always paranoid about the others and would make my Base shift schedule changes to those as well. I see the F-150 adds an "Eco" shift schedule table.
    No, I only changed the base tables. I'll try updating the others and see if it helps. It's great point to update 4 auto. When the weather gets bad, I turn it on. My Nitto Ridge Grapplers are terrible in the rain.

I wonder if Eco is your base shift schedule? Is there an Eco button somewhere in your truck?

Tuner
    There are multiple drive modes, with Eco being one of them. It essentially changes the TCM and TPS to keep the Rpm’s low, even if you smash on the gas. Similar to snow/ice mode.

When updating all of the tables, it stops skip shifting and uses every gear! Woohoo! Now I need to work backwards and see which table was causing skip shift to remain active. The base table is for normal drive mode. Updating it alone should have gotten rid of the skip shift, for at least that mode anyway. Thanks for the suggestion to update all of the tables.

Glad it worked! I was always curious about that, and make changes to all of them just to be on the safe side. It'd be interesting to see which one actually changes your normal base drive mode.

I do base to the ABS, DSC, Cooling, and inf grade 1 and 4x4 high if it's 4x4

I do inf grade 2 different.

the ones with names like eco, sport ect are individual upon themselves.

inferred grade 1 will change up how it acts on small hills, such as i have a stop sign at the end of my neighborhood that is like 10 feet higher were it meets another road and it would shift different at that stop sign until i got flat again. 2 is much bigger hills.
    I really think it was that one and the abs one that was messing you up.

Tuner
    Capture.PNG

I had to update all of the tables you mentioned @CoreyMS, except for the cooling tables. I can't find info on what they are actually for. The ones in green are the ones that I updated and now the skip shift if gone (ignore the shift modes). I had to have the OSS in the skip shift columns 4x4, ABS, DSC, Inf Grade and Inf Grade 2 for it stop skip shifting.

What do you different for Inf Grade 2? I live in the TX Hill Country and could likely benefit from having those two tables different.

Tuner
    Hopefully not to old to be bringing back - but did you do any work on the torque converter as well or just the shift scheduling?

Tuner

Help needed.

Hi. I did this mod to the trans scheduling and now the trans is getting through all the gears but I'm having 2 issues. I've modified all the tables to avoid the trans doing the skip shift thing.

1. Sometimes after a stop on drive, it gets on 1st. And to get it to shift to 2nd I need to go over 5k rpm. And whole tables are set to go from 1-2 on less than 1k rpm.

2. The select shift function on manual mode is not working. When I go on 1st and hit the + button the trans won't go up.

Any thoughts on this issue?

I would have to see the tune. You changed something you shouldn't have in my opinion.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyMS View Post
    I would have to see the tune. You changed something you shouldn't have in my opinion.
    Hi, thanks for the answer. I haven't had access to the tune before so here it goes (attached) the stock file and modified one. I've also tried to get some engine side improvement.

2017 F150 3.5T 4x4. It's a friend's truck and he is using it right now. Another complain he has is about the 3-2-1 shifting. It looks like the truck likes the 3rd gear a lot and it has to be in almost a complete stop to shift into 1st. We live in a city with a lot of mountains.

For this last issue I'm guessing to modify the downshift maps and set around +100/200 rpm in the 2nd gear column, because I've seen that the 1st and 2nd columns have the same value in most of the tables, and that can be the reason for the trans going straight to 1st at low speeds.

Here's the screenshot of the compared files between stock and modified.

10R.png
    Attached Files Attached Files

The select shift problem is you raised it way to high, its not rpm but Output Shaft Speed, so you have to do the math of the gear ratio to the rpm.

You have first gear set to 5628 rpm. There is a post in this forum where you can get a spreadsheet to do the math for each gear ratio.

Leave the select shift alone in my opinion.

As for the downshift out of third look at how the 2nd gear downshift is, it needs to be raise up some but its going to be a trial and error to find what you want.

Tuner
    The select shift problem is you raised it way to high, its not rpm but Output Shaft Speed, so you have to do the math of the gear ratio to the rpm.

You have first gear set to 5628 rpm. There is a post in this forum where you can get a spreadsheet to do the math for each gear ratio.

Leave the select shift alone in my opinion.

As for the downshift out of third look at how the 2nd gear downshift is, it needs to be raise up some but its going to be a trial and error to find what you want.
    Thanks Corey. I'll try it as soon as I have the truck again with me. Also it can be the problem on the car that sometimes get stuck in 1st until 5k rpm?

Tuner in Training

shifting gears

Quote Originally Posted by AlanDC View Post
    Hi. I did this mod to the trans scheduling and now the trans is getting through all the gears but I'm having 2 issues. I've modified all the tables to avoid the trans doing the skip shift thing.

1. Sometimes after a stop on drive, it gets on 1st. And to get it to shift to 2nd I need to go over 5k rpm. And whole tables are set to go from 1-2 on less than 1k rpm.

2. The select shift function on manual mode is not working. When I go on 1st and hit the + button the trans won't go up.

Any thoughts on this issue?
    Yes you have to change your shifting scheduling tables. on each gear you have numbers and you have some of your numbers to high towards the top, now towards the buttom is more throttle is opened so you want higher numbers more towards the button. I would lower the numbers starting at 50% throttle and work your way up to the top of each gear.

Tuner in Training
    I been changing my shifting on my F150 truck. Like he said if you changed those numbers to high vs 10% throttle or 20% or 30% it will not shift until you reach that rpm. Need to lower each gear setting from 50% and up that will let your transmission shift sooner.

Tuner

This.

It’s easy to think that the OSS tables are in RPM, but they aren’t. Find the spreadsheet and calculate the values correctly. I’d share the spreadsheet , but I don’t have it either.