Thread: USB plug only connects power when partially inserted, not fully inserted.

Potential Tuner

Question USB plug only connects power when partially inserted, not fully inserted.

Having this weird problem, if I fully seat the USB plug into my laptop the power light goes off and it acts like there's no connection. If I slowly pull it out and have it partially plugged in, I get connection. If I wiggle or even slightly move it at all, it disconnects again. This seems like a nightmare situation to have if I'm writing a new tune to the PCM and the cord moves and bricks everything. Not really sure what to do here. I was able to read out the stock file without moving anything but I'm not at all confident in writing to it.
    Video of it here.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    have you tried a new usb cable? If not start there. Also try an alternate usb port on your laptop.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    have you tried a new usb cable? If not start there. Also try an alternate usb port on your laptop.
    Imagine that, I tried my Samsung phone's cable and it worked right away zero issues. You may want to let your cable supplier on the MPVI2 know. I haven't tried transferring data on it but it shouldn't be a issue since it's for a phone that does data transfers?.. Thanks!
    Here it is working...

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by okbutwhytho View Post
    Imagine that, I tried my Samsung phone's cable and it worked right away zero issues. You may want to let your cable supplier on the MPVI2 know. I haven't tried transferring data on it but it shouldn't be a issue since it's for a phone that does data transfers?.. Thanks!
    Here it is working...
    If its a new MPVI2 I would suggest opening a support ticket, I was under the assumption that the interface was not new and you've been able to successfully use it in the past without issue.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Thats because you are using usb 3.0 cable on a usb 2.0 port (on your laptop)

just use another cable