Thread: Tacoma 1GR Power Enrichment / Component Protection

Tuner in Training

Question Tacoma 1GR Power Enrichment / Component Protection

Has anyone compared Toyota's enrichment strategy to similar engines from other OEMs and wondered if they were trying to hydrolock the engine?

4.3 PE vs 4.0 PE graph.png

Does anyone have any experience with dramatically leaning these trucks out under load? Unless the cylinder/injector design is absolutely terrible, I have a hard time believing that a (slightly more modern) DOHC aluminum V6 needs almost 2x the enrichment to prevent knocking when compared to a pushrod 2 valve Chevy...

After leaning this out to something more reasonable I'm still finding myself hitting the component protection enrichment limits however. Have people had success with moving those out of the way on these trucks? Or are the designed comp protection enrichment points pretty close to what's needed to keep everything cool under load?

I have full emissions equipment on this truck, so I'm not looking to melt a cat. At the same time, this thing runs richer than turbocharged high compression engines I've tuned haha.

Tuner
    I found/thought much the same.

I've been running a PE/COT fueling on N/A vehicles with OE manifolds/cats with a PE of 1.215 for general purpose tunes. I've got a few trucks approaching 2 years of daily use with those values and haven't had a cat failure.

Not saying this value is ideal but it's worked well keeping things alive for folks who depend on their truck daily.

I'm not a fan of a blanket disable, as you'd also be disabling additional enrichment based on ign retard too, so I work my COT mapping in to blend well with my PE values.

most of my tuning experience is on the 3ur-fe but its similar, the 3ur-fe has tight piston ring i noticed that it doesnt like to run lean N/A under 1.176 it starts to knock and F/I under 1.333 it doesnt last long with stock pistons.

the reason toyota runs their cars really rich is just to make sure that the engine last long and handle abuse keep in mind the stock tune is the same one that is used around the world even if there is a different calibration file based on location its usually for other features and regulations.

between 1.225 and 1.2 is good place to be in term of power and reliability you can disable the COT but as JustDSM you can change the settings to make it less aggressive and it will protect you when your engine knock i just dont bother as i want the truck to be consistent and i usually tune really conservative anyway.

Potential Tuner
    I'm getting readings of .75 lambda on a stock tune. I turned COMPONENT PROTECTION off and what a difference in power however I wouldn't run it more the a few miles before returning it to stock I will definitely be looking into this further. i can get it to pull some fuel but there are tables i cant acces that insert fuel regarles of my PE settings.
    Last edited by gvlad; 07-23-2022 at 06:10 AM.