Thread: High stall lockup tuning for better drivability 6r80 3600 3c circle d

High stall lockup tuning for better drivability 6r80 3600 3c circle d

So I'm looking to improve daily drivability on my 2012 mustang gt with vortech v3 3c circle d converter TBR torque booster Tial bov with bypass conversion spring id1000 injectors boss 302 intake manifold devil's own/snow performance single nozzle water methanol injection kooks long tubes kooks off-road x pipe dw400 fuel pump jms powermax BAP DSS 1pc alum driveshaft.

Moving along from that mouthful... looking for some advice on restoring some lower throttle drivability for day to day use. Given the nature of this converter and the torque loss down low from the free flowing exhaust and boss manifold, some of my thoughts were to command an early lockup starting in second throughout the forward gears, has anyone done this and what were the pros/cons? From a slippage and heat point of view I would imagine both to be significantly lower but how jarring would it be both in nvh and stress on components I figure the converter can take it but what about the rest? Not to mention keeping it looked shift to shift?

Would greatly appreciate any guidance for improving feel with this setup.

Thanks!

I have a slightly different setup. 2019, Vortech, the whole shebang. Running a Circle D 3200 stall on a 10r80. For the street, I basically run the converter unlocked through 6th gear. It's not bad. I'm sure there is a better way but I have no problem with it at this point.

Advanced Tuner
    I've had both a 4C - N/A and on TVS, then switched to the FTI converter....

I tried locking the converter in 1st and even 2nd... I didn't really care for it because it was quirky on the backstreets. Instead I fine tuned the trans shifts/converter lockup schedule to my driving style to keep converter unlocked and in lower gears longer on the backstreets (keeping revs higher), stop sign to stop sign, but once I get going on the highway or road it locks up and upshifts/locks for the mileage. It's a nice balance now that I got it right but it took a lot of datalogs and trying not to 'think' about driving... just doing it normally.
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

^^That's pretty much what I did^^ It's all personal preference.

Got it I'll have to play with it more. Were you guys ever able to tune out sounding like you're doing a rip at like 20% pedal heh I always sound a bit rowdy lol.

Potential Tuner
    Reviving this as I'm in the same situation. 10r80 with a Circle-D + Whipple. I'm wondering if anyone has found a balance for the normal driving mode so that it doesn't "grab" so hard when locking up the converter? When I'm racing it's great ... around town, less than ideal. I also feel like I'm doing a rip at 20% pedal , which isn't always favorable (i.e. when police are in the next lane).

Anyone been able to de-tune the 10r80 with a Circle-D? Care to share some settings?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleph View Post
    Got it I'll have to play with it more. Were you guys ever able to tune out sounding like you're doing a rip at like 20% pedal heh I always sound a bit rowdy lol.
    As long as it's unlocked, you're going to have that situation. I like it personally.