Thread: Duramax scanner functions, 2011+

Duramax scanner functions, 2011+

I understand the whole cannot delete emissions thing. In my case, I don't want to delete. I do however want to know why the VCM scanner doesn't allow service regen, DEF system tests, and things like that to make the scanner more functional. I would love to use my MPVI2 rather than buying OE stuff. Is this possible, or been discussed before? I searched, but this part never came up, or I missed it.

It's also not hard to go and get the software and a J box to run the GM stuff. just an added expense I would like to avoid if possible.
    03 Z06 stock.......for now
    05 Siearra 5.3 daily
    I have realized that tuning is a rabbit hole. No problem diving down this hole, in fact I jumped willingly. Just want to avoid hitting every ugly rock or root on the way down it.

Potential Tuner
    I was wandering the same thing, instead of buying a dash mount monitoring unit, can you use the VCM to monitor, read codes and run a manual regen?

Potential Tuner
    I don't see why you couldn't load the software up on a tablet and just scan every time you're driving. It would be awesome to have something like the EZLynk Auto Agent app but for HP Tuners! https://ezlynk.com/technicians.html
    Horsepower is like a condom. I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Disclaimer: I do not know what I'm doing. Follow at your own risk.

I know there are aftermarket scan tools available that will force a regen, as well as the dash mounted units like what 63Vette was talking about, and the "pocket scanners" you mention might do as well for this. My reason in asking when I did was I wanted to tune a couple diesels for learning, but not delete them. Figured it would be beneficial to at least have the regen option in case I messed up and over fueled it to the point a regen would be needed. I have since abandoned any diesel tuning aspirations as it is just too much crap to deal with if it isn't deleted, and I am not gonna delete stuff only to have the fuzz beating down my door. I'm not tuning for a living, but more a side thing and sometimes helping out customers at the shop I work at with some trans tunes and whatnot, as well as messing around with my own stuff. So at this point, I'm sticking with gasoline powered stuff only.
    03 Z06 stock.......for now
    05 Siearra 5.3 daily
    I have realized that tuning is a rabbit hole. No problem diving down this hole, in fact I jumped willingly. Just want to avoid hitting every ugly rock or root on the way down it.