Thread: G force sensing

Potential Tuner

G force sensing

How is are the g forces sensed? I have a Android Samsung S7. I figure the accelerometer in the phone is used but want to verify. My reason for thinking this is because when I played back my recording the circle and dot that show the visual g forces, the dot was 'pushed' to the left. I suspect it was like that because it was mounted too close the the little dash speaker and the magnet effected the accelerometer.

Thanks.

The G-forces are measured using the phone's accelerometers. Usually when the reading is way off, it was due to the phone's position having been moved or rotated after the app auto-calibrated the accelerometer readings. It will do this prior to recording a session, the first time that it detects the vehicle stopped while the GPS signal appears good, and then possibly again right before you start recording if conditions permit. However, once recording has begin, it will definitely not do this, as to keep the readings consistent throughout the entire recording.

Potential Tuner

G force display in recorded Video - can you display the numbers rather than the ..dot

Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    The G-forces are measured using the phone's accelerometers. Usually when the reading is way off, it was due to the phone's position having been moved or rotated after the app auto-calibrated the accelerometer readings. It will do this prior to recording a session, the first time that it detects the vehicle stopped while the GPS signal appears good, and then possibly again right before you start recording if conditions permit. However, once recording has begin, it will definitely not do this, as to keep the readings consistent throughout the entire recording.
    Hey There:
    Is there anyway to change the display of the G forces .. to the numbers rather than the moving dot .. for better analysis?

Potential Tuner
    I believe you can manually choose the data field you wish to display in the configure window for the Display Object. There are fields to select the Left/Right and Accel/Deccel data in the configuration window. There was also an option to display the numeric value next to the dot display.

I was wondering if anyone had advice for 'cleaner' acceleration data. The trace I have is quite noisy and is distracting. I was wondering if there was some filtering i could apply to the accelerations to smooth the display. Maybe this is an issue with the way I mounted my phone. (Windshield suction cup) Is it better to have a more secure mount? The windshield mount seems to cause more vibrations due to the lever-arm. Any recommendations?
    Last edited by jaywill; 03-01-2023 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Added a question