Thread: 2011 Chevy Silverado 5.3 6L80E Torque Converter Shutter

Potential Tuner

2011 Chevy Silverado 5.3 6L80E Torque Converter Shutter

Hey I'm new here.

Just got the HP tuner in today. So basically my truck has a torque converter shutter. The truck has a 6 inch lift and 35x12.5x20's.

So what i've done is tune the TCC in first 4 gears to not engage. Shutter gone.

However in 5th and 6th gear I still have shutter. So I've been trying to go into the Apply Ramp and multiply the table by 1.4.

Do you guys know anyway to fix this shutter other than replacing the torque converter.

I attached a example of my tune.Taylor's 2011 Chevy Truck DOD Delete & TCC Tune & TCC Ramp Tune.hpt

How far is your speedo off?

The tune for the gear tire wizard still says it's running 30.5in tall tires.

With that lift and size tires you'll want to raise the lock up speeds. Don't have 5th gear lock up until like 40-45mph and have 6th gear at 48-50+ mph.

But if it's still shuddering a ton with the TCC desired slip zero'd out for those gears, it's going to probably want a new converter.

Also whoever tuned that power enrichment stuff is playing with fire. The EQ ratio is way to lean and that is not good. I wouldn't even run it that lean on straight E85.
    Last edited by 5FDP; 06-15-2021 at 09:11 PM.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    How far is your speedo off?

The tune for the gear tire wizard still says it's running 30.5in tall tires.

With that lift and size tires you'll want to raise the lock up speeds. Don't have 5th gear lock up until like 40-45mph and have 6th gear at 48-50+ mph.

But if it's still shuddering a ton with the TCC desired slip zero'd out for those gears, it's going to probably want a new converter.

Also whoever tuned that power enrichment stuff is playing with fire. The EQ ratio is way to lean and that is not good. I wouldn't even run it that lean on straight E85.
    I'm not sure how far my speedo is off I would have to check. How do I tune it for my tires? Do I need to download gear tire wizard. Im running 35x12.5x20's.

I read a old thread and put my Regulator gain to 1.0 and Regulator Offset to 90 psi. Shutter seems to have disappeared.

As for the enrichment that must be something someone else must have done before I bought the truck. I didn't touch that. Where is that located? How do I fix it?

Thank you so much for the reply and your time.

Potential Tuner
    Even if you could point me in the right direction to download a stock tune that way I could take it back to original since apparently someone has been in there jacking around. I'm looking in the power enrichment now is it the gas EQ or the Alcohol EQ.

Does this only apply at WOT? Or is it all the time.
    Last edited by Woodysgarage; 06-15-2021 at 10:21 PM.

The gear/tire wizard is under the edit tab. You'll want to plug in the larger tire size and have it auto scale the transmission shift speeds. I forget on those trucks if it will freak out if you put in a tire size of 35in. Sometimes you have to put in 33's or 34's to stop the ABS from going nuts. But either way those two numbers would make your speedo much closer to actual speed. Right now I bet it's 5mph off at least.

The power enrichment thing is the EQ ratio. Whoever did the changes made it real lean under wide open throttle. 14.68/1.053 = 13.9 AFR. That's hardly any fuel and not a good idea. Ideally you should be targeting around 12.0-12.5 AFR to keep things safe on regular pump gas.

They also raised the rev limiter way up but didn't touch the shift rpm, not really sure why. The stock camshaft and valve springs wouldn't like 6,200+ rpm anyway, they stopped make good horsepower/torque after 5,600-5,700rpm.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I was looking at some other files. I seen 1.15. If I do the calculation that would be 12.7. Should I go a little higher like 1.19?

Do I need to change the alcohol EQ ratio as well?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodysgarage View Post
    Hey I'm new here.

Just got the HP tuner in today. So basically my truck has a torque converter shutter. The truck has a 6 inch lift and 35x12.5x20's.

So what i've done is tune the TCC in first 4 gears to not engage. Shutter gone.

However in 5th and 6th gear I still have shutter. So I've been trying to go into the Apply Ramp and multiply the table by 1.4.

Do you guys know anyway to fix this shutter other than replacing the torque converter.

I attached a example of my tune.Taylor's 2011 Chevy Truck DOD Delete & TCC Tune & TCC Ramp Tune.hpt
    How many miles on trans? TCC chatter is Number1 issue with 6L, drop the pan yet? Look for metal, if you see anything other than a fine dusting on magnet pull it out, change TC dissassemble unit and clean metal out, reassemble unit with transgo PR valve in pump. Wear in pump is common but not a reason to change parts. Change any burnt frictions, 4,5,6 are usually burned. If you live in the south and have a thermistor block modify for full flow. They make a billet single disc unit that is good on a budget. 6L is very easy to do. Cleaning the valve body and installing a superior sk is a plus and has good instructions. We have found that large tires and stock gears with lock up in 5-6 only creates an incredible amount of heat in the unit. Additional coolers are needed.