Thread: Open loop tuning

Advanced Tuner

Open loop tuning

How do you set the Gen V's into open loop only?
    Last edited by JASON11WS6; 06-16-2021 at 04:23 PM.

Go to engine/fuel/oxygen sensors/monitoring, set the o2 readiness voltage to something that cannot be attained. Easiest way is to set to the negative value of what is there. If it has 1.795, change it to -1.795.
    03 Z06 stock.......for now
    05 Siearra 5.3 daily
    I have realized that tuning is a rabbit hole. No problem diving down this hole, in fact I jumped willingly. Just want to avoid hitting every ugly rock or root on the way down it.

Depends on what type.

There are more things than O2 readiness to get a proper open loop setup for tuning. Especially if you are trying to get your fueling right before the real tuning begins. I'm still not 100% on everything that needs to be disabled or changed. A lot of it is a carryover from GEN IV plus a few others. The terminology changes a little as well.

This topic would make for a good writeup/sticky. In general that is, meaning that there are variations across likewise ECM/PCM's, but sticking to the basics would go a long way. This seems to be a common hurdle for most beginners....including me.
    I always tune VVE....
    2016 C7 M7 Z51
    Callies ultra billet crank
    Callies ultra billet rods
    Diamond pistons
    Jhonson high speed lifters
    Ported and polished headwork
    Custom cam
    YSi-V7

Tuner
    In the scanner special functions, you can manually turn off closed loop. That's how I always did it with my 18 Camaro. Easier than messing with the tune itself hoping it would work, since it usually took me 2-3 full drive cycles for a new tune to fully take for whatever reason

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    In the scanner special functions, you can manually turn off closed loop. That's how I always did it with my 18 Camaro. Easier than messing with the tune itself hoping it would work, since it usually took me 2-3 full drive cycles for a new tune to fully take for whatever reason
    That is by no means a master switch to take all the other variables out of the equation when trying to calibrate in open loop.
    I always tune VVE....
    2016 C7 M7 Z51
    Callies ultra billet crank
    Callies ultra billet rods
    Diamond pistons
    Jhonson high speed lifters
    Ported and polished headwork
    Custom cam
    YSi-V7

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostnotes View Post
    That is by no means a master switch to take all the other variables out of the equation when trying to calibrate in open loop.
    OP's question was how to go into open loop only. Not how to fully calibrate a vehicle. I answered the original question with one of the ways you can do it.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks guys. I was just looking to operate in open loop to see if the o2 sensors were causing the issue I was having.

Quote Originally Posted by JASON11WS6 View Post
    Thanks guys. I was just looking to operate in open loop to see if the o2 sensors were causing the issue I was having.
    If that ever happens again, go into VCM controls and disable CL in real time, take 2 seconds

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C