Thread: 2018 Ram Classic Can't read or connect

Tuner in Training

2018 Ram Classic Can't read or connect

I have a 2019 Ram Classic that I am planning on tuning. I have an updated VCM Scanner Suite and a new MVPI2 Pro. I found the Smart-Access behind the drivers kick panel and install the Smart-Access cable. I then tried to gather info to read out the truck and kept getting "Data Protocol Failed". I could initialize the scanner and get it to work, but I couldn't get the PCM to read out.

Has anyone ran into this issue before? Causes? Cures?

Thank you to all the community for all the pointers,
    Creton

Potential Tuner
    I thought PCM on 2014 and newer RAMs are locked out. Not sure if that's your issue though.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by NOV87 View Post
    I thought PCM on 2014 and newer RAMs are locked out. Not sure if that's your issue though.
    2015 and newer are locked. You should still be able to read though

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Creton View Post
    I have a 2019 Ram Classic that I am planning on tuning. I have an updated VCM Scanner Suite and a new MVPI2 Pro. I found the Smart-Access behind the drivers kick panel and install the Smart-Access cable. I then tried to gather info to read out the truck and kept getting "Data Protocol Failed". I could initialize the scanner and get it to work, but I couldn't get the PCM to read out.

Has anyone ran into this issue before? Causes? Cures?

Thank you to all the community for all the pointers,
    Creton
    Are you using the stable version or beta version of the VCM Suite?

Solid internet connection during the attempt to read or write. If the window displays Internet in blue that is. You'll be able to read it, that's all till you send the pcm in for unlocking.

Tuner in Training
    The can/IHS Bus is not connecting through the datalink. I believe that the gateway module is actually bad as it will connect if the oem harness is connected but will not connect if the smart-access cable is connected. HP Tuners support didn't really offer any help other than it is supported and that to try disconnecting the battery. I've tuned many new Mopars and this is the first time I have ran into an issue actually connecting and reading the vehicle.

According to Chrysler it can have a connection failure and not through a code if the body control module and back up assist is working properly.

I use the latest beta version and have internet access.