Thread: 11 Camaro SS with ZL1 pump LSA with aftermarket rails Cranking issue

Tuner in Training

11 Camaro SS with ZL1 pump LSA with aftermarket rails Cranking issue

Im having an issue with the car intermittently not wanting to crank after it gets warm. It cranks cold everytime . Once its warm its hit or miss. I've had a reputable tuner working on the car and he's not able to figure out whats going on. Claims the fuel system could be vapor locking or the pump not priming. He's also worked on the hot start but the issue is still present.

Car has ZL1 fuel pump with 1000cc SEP injectors, and aftermarket LSA Fuel Rails .

I can drive the car around, cut it off. Sometimes it cranks back up right away .. sometimes i have to sit there for about 10-15 mins then the car will crank back up. It has never not cranked back up after waiting 10-15 mins. Seems like after it gets under 200 degress it will crank back up. Operating temps are around 215 degrees Terrence d - 11 Camaro - LSA - Boltons - pump gas - cammed - ddtech - New Motor 14.hptnormal drive 6.hpl

Anyhelp? I have plenty of logs of normal driving and the current tune is attached.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dundone View Post
    Im having an issue with the car intermittently not wanting to crank after it gets warm. It cranks cold everytime . Once its warm its hit or miss. I've had a reputable tuner working on the car and he's not able to figure out whats going on. Claims the fuel system could be vapor locking or the pump not priming. He's also worked on the hot start but the issue is still present.

Car has ZL1 fuel pump with 1000cc SEP injectors, and aftermarket LSA Fuel Rails .

I can drive the car around, cut it off. Sometimes it cranks back up right away .. sometimes i have to sit there for about 10-15 mins then the car will crank back up. It has never not cranked back up after waiting 10-15 mins. Seems like after it gets under 200 degress it will crank back up. Operating temps are around 215 degrees Terrence d - 11 Camaro - LSA - Boltons - pump gas - cammed - ddtech - New Motor 14.hptnormal drive 6.hpl

Anyhelp? I have plenty of logs of normal driving and the current tune is attached.
    Is it cranking but not starting or not cranking over at all?

Have you put a fuel pressure gauge on it to see what is going on with the fuel pressure when the concern happens?

If it is cranking but not starting only hot, vapor lock sounds like a likely cause.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillactech View Post
    Is it cranking but not starting or not cranking over at all?

Have you put a fuel pressure gauge on it to see what is going on with the fuel pressure when the concern happens?

If it is cranking but not starting only hot, vapor lock sounds like a likely cause.

I'm just getting a gauge on the rails. Going to replicate the issue and check PSI when it happens. Its cranking but not starting. I was also told it could be the starter getting hot since i have headers. The OEM starter shield is still on the car but maybe its not enough. Im sure its the original starter from 2011 , 100k miles

Add some cranking fuel to the hot areas in the chart. If it starts great at 84 degrees, then go to the 84 row and copy that row and another three rows down. Then paste that in the last 4 rows of the chart. See if that works. At least you will know if it is short on fuel at hot startup. Save that as a different file so you can easily go back if it doesn't work.
    Last edited by Lakegoat; 07-30-2021 at 09:37 AM.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Senior Tuner
    I've had some odd cars do this. Measure fuel pressure while it will not crank.. Most injectors have a hard time opening above 80psi
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs