Thread: Tuning my first 5.0!

Tuner in Training

Tuning my first 5.0!

So looking to tune my first coyote (?16 A6 3.15 gear car). I have done GM gen3/4 and stand-alone's before but this will be my first modern Ford. The car is just a cold air, axle back and IMRC deletes.

I found a thread for IMRC deletes but it's for a 3v (05-10 car), I'm assuming it doesn't translate to the newer 5.0's.

Any beginner tips/tricks? Good videos to watch?

Advanced Tuner
    Why do you want to delete the CMCV's or incorrectly called IMRC's.

They block nothing when open and help gas mileage when closed.

Potential Tuner
    Become familiar with VCT scheduling and MPs if not already. (CMCV/IMRC delete: If surging kill MP 21/14 relationship) good luck!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by K44 View Post
    Why do you want to delete the CMCV's or incorrectly called IMRC's.

They block nothing when open and help gas mileage when closed.
    Was on the car already

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by taylor0207 View Post
    Become familiar with VCT scheduling and MPs if not already. (CMCV/IMRC delete: If surging kill MP 21/14 relationship) good luck!
    I think that's what I'm struggling with. You say kill the relationship.. what does that mean? Zero one of the tables out?

This is the tune currently on it. Run's and drives pretty good, still want to dial it in a bit more. Couldn't log MAF volts, so i ended up modifying the MAF airflow vs period table.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    I tuned one recently with IMRC delete and found that if you go about it the wrong way it disables knock advance. What I wound up having to do was quite elaborate and involved repurposing all the IMRC closed points to open and copying all the data over from the open tables.

If I disabled IMRC and sensor and toggled hardware removed to open, it disabled knock advance.

If I disabled all IMRC closed mapped points the car wouldn?t even run.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    I tuned one recently with IMRC delete and found that if you go about it the wrong way it disables knock advance. What I wound up having to do was quite elaborate and involved repurposing all the IMRC closed points to open and copying all the data over from the open tables.

If I disabled IMRC and sensor and toggled hardware removed to open, it disabled knock advance.

If I disabled all IMRC closed mapped points the car wouldn?t even run.
    Yeah i tried initially making the IMRC config all 0's and yeah, car wouldn't run. Changed to 1's (open) and started. So i thought about doing the spark baseline like that, making the 0 table same as 14, 1 same as 15.. ect.. would that be correct or no?

Advanced Tuner
    Sounds similar to what I did but I copied the spark, speed density, torque, and monitoring data over from 14-25 to 0-12. Some of them had to be “close enough” because the same cam timing points didn’t exist for imrc open and closed.

Advanced Tuner
    You can always look at a roush file for the gen two coyote. They have everything setup for disabling the mapped points since you know it has a supercharger. I used their values in a procharged gen two with a boss 302 mani to delete the IMRC and it followed my timing maps, torque maps, idled, hot and cold started perfect.

Potential Tuner
    Have you tried to disabled the IMRC sensor and block the the vacuum channel off the break line, and leave the port to the IMRC open?

Effectively, will do the same. You may experience some surging in 4/5/6 at low rpm (~1100)...at least on my 2016 F150 5.0 With 2018 Manifold.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    Sounds similar to what I did but I copied the spark, speed density, torque, and monitoring data over from 14-25 to 0-12. Some of them had to be “close enough” because the same cam timing points didn’t exist for imrc open and closed.
    What did you do with your distance tables and such ?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill88stang View Post
    What did you do with your distance tables and such ?
    If you copy data from the same-location imrc-open mapped points to imrc closed mapped point tables, then you wouldn’t need to do much of anything to the distance tables.

Advanced Tuner
    Good info thank you sir, so your pretty much running it in 0-12 in the closed mp’s then

Advanced Tuner
    Yes but on all “open” data.

Advanced Tuner
    im going to give that a try and see how that works so all open cam angles,torque tables, spark etc copy over and pasted into closed

Advanced Tuner
    15-16 SCT Value i use on the Mustang. I use MAP Point 15 for the following
    Mapped points to Emission reduction Distance set all to (15)
    Mapped Points to Fuel Economy Distance set all to (15)
    Mapped Points to Manual Launch Distance set all to (15)
    Mapped Points to Stability Distance set all to (15)

Mapped point Configuration set to (0)
    mapped point 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,15,19,23
    Last edited by mstang_man; 09-04-2022 at 01:51 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Your setting them all to zero which would disable them? Never used sct yet so I’m not sure

Advanced Tuner
    Your setting them all to zero which would disable them? Never used sct yet so I’m not sure
    Correct (0) Disable / Enable (1)

Advanced Tuner
    So your disabling just mp15 or all of them listed ??

Advanced Tuner
    So your disabling just mp15 or all of them listed ??
    Disabling all these mapped points 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,15,19,23