Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me Understand EGR tunning map

Tuner in Training
    They are partially correct that you can’t block a SID209 with a plate, must be turned off in the tune like they have clearly done.

In SID209, the EGR valve is used as a boost reliever (blow off valve of sorts) when coming off throttle to keep the turbo speed up. If you plate it, there is nowhere for that air pressure to go but back through the turbo causing a speed drop and higher fuel usage to keep the turbo spooled. What you are hearing is not back firing but the turbo flutter.

Quote Originally Posted by happyhallsy8 View Post
    Yeah I'd say that's disabled?

I know on SID208 it's 2048 for disable?

Having said that after approximately 40k extra on the clock I added the plate cleaned and kept driving.
    At about 70k I added Provent 200 to filter the PCV valve then took out the plate just late last year 40k??ish since my intake is clean as a whistle and seems to have dropped 1l/100km.
    I really think there is some benefit to the lower displacement allowed at cruising torques.

I did average the table out a little at 2k - 2.5k rpm for boost to maintain consumption at 110kmh.

Average EGR is 270 - 350c at 110kmh didn't really change much max temp wise but warms up much quicker and smoother shutdown.
    Consumption is average of 7.4lph with BF Goodrich TA KO2's, TJM Full bar & Winch.

Cheers Happy thats good to know...wow 7.4LPH that's amazing with big Tyre's and full bar good stuff...yeah with most catch cans on the ranger you lose abit of power because of the choke from 24mm down to 16mm almost half the size of breathing air volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Natedogg1986 View Post
    They are partially correct that you can’t block a SID209 with a plate, must be turned off in the tune like they have clearly done.

In SID209, the EGR valve is used as a boost reliever (blow off valve of sorts) when coming off throttle to keep the turbo speed up. If you plate it, there is nowhere for that air pressure to go but back through the turbo causing a speed drop and higher fuel usage to keep the turbo spooled. What you are hearing is not back firing but the turbo flutter.
    so your saying they closed the EGR with the tune ? but when i put the block off plate in i am very very low on power i need at least 12% more throttle everywhere thru out the rev range to do what it did before ? also it back fires some times 4 times in total...its not turbo flutter.... i know what flutter sounds like.

i get what your saying with EGR used to bleed off exhuast gases and uses it to keep boost maintained.... but if the EGR plate is in the turbo vane Map table just adds more or less % of Vane command to address over boosting or not enough boost.

the more appropriate answer to the backfire is when EGR is active it commands the throttle plate to close half way to allow the EGR gases to flow more freely in the intake manifold so it doesn't have to combat/Fight the turbo cold side air coming into the intake manifold. I herd this from someone on HP tuners explaining this....so if i put the block off plate the ecu is restricting the air by still thinking EGR gases are coming inside the manifold so it closes the throttle plate half way and less air means less power to the point i think I'm killing the cylinder flame and backfiring ?

Tuner in Training
    You do realise Diesels can’t backfire right?

You do realise Diesels can?t backfire right?
    sorry a backfire isn't a proper term.....a pritty loud bang coming out of the exhaust....2 other guy's herd it in my car and we all looked at each other thinking wtf why ? ....up a mountain hill no other car present and herd it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQqaf25ni50 similar to this but 5x louder

Tuner in Training
    If it’s doing that it’s got a mechanical issue with an injector, not to do with EGR or the tune.

If it’s doing that it’s got a mechanical issue with an injector, not to do with EGR or the tune.
    Can't be a tune or injector problem....the loud bang happen at 23 thousand km 3 years ago when I put the block off plate in only for 2 days after 2 days I took off the block off plate....fast forward 3 years, car has 100 thousand km now and never backfired.....2 days ago I put the block off plate in agian and backfired like 2 times....egr is defiantly not turned off.....just need to know how to turn it off now

Quote Originally Posted by 9inty9er View Post
    To keep the valve closed change the open tables to 2048 on all 3 and close tables to 0 on all 3 dont change the regen tables have found this does add some boost between gear changes as the EGR appears to act like a blow off valve to reduce and smooth the boost curve preferably I like to leave it stock
    Anyone understand what he means by the 3 open tables? And close tables to 0 on all 3 ?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Aus_spec_ranger View Post
    ok so i am in the process to find out if my EGR is turned off from a tunner at nizpro when my ranger got tuned for the 3inch exhaust....they said they turned it off but when i put the block off plate car ran shit and back fired..also when i went back and told them what happen they said you cant close the EGR because my car needs the EGR to build boost what a bunch of Balonneyyy.....

i guess its up to me to turn off my EGR tables.
    so on almost all my EGR base tables i see this ? i remember VFL77 telling me to bump the numbers Very high to a number the engine will never see at low loads so the EGR never opens. here is that table

Attachment 118530

and in engine Diagnostics it looks like everything is disabled ??

Attachment 118531

also here is my VCM scanner reporting that it isnt opening ? is it safe to say EGR is closed ? but if so why is my ranger Very low on power with block off plate installed and back firing ?

Attachment 118532

Do all of your 11 tables look the same as my "Set point Map 1 - mode 3" is all 50?

Quote Originally Posted by hath View Post
    Do all of your 11 tables look the same as my "Set point Map 1 - mode 3" is all 50?
    Na only 2 map Tables are set to all 50's.....the rest of the map tables are a mixture of these maps i have uploaded..... why are you asking if all map tables are set to all 50 values ? is that what it should be to turn off EGR valve ?

EGR tables map.jpg

Potential Tuner
    Hey mate, sent you a msg, would you mind posting your tune file just so I can compare it to mine, coz I kind of have the same issues. Not 100% if my egr is closed correctly.
    Thanks Anthony

Yeah cool check your inbox 👍

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Aus_spec_ranger View Post
    Na only 2 map Tables are set to all 50's.....the rest of the map tables are a mixture of these maps i have uploaded..... why are you asking if all map tables are set to all 50 values ? is that what it should be to turn off EGR valve ?

EGR tables map.jpg
    If your EGR tables look like the attached photo they might just be turned off at certain times.

Have to think about that when the boost is upped, tabled need to be adjusted also otherwise it will open the valve in high boost conditions causing AFR spikes to the rich side.

Msg me the tune if you want help.

If your EGR tables look like the attached photo they might just be turned off at certain times.

Have to think about that when the boost is upped, tabled need to be adjusted also otherwise it will open the valve in high boost conditions causing AFR spikes to the rich side.

Msg me the tune if you want help.
    yeah true AFR's will run ritch if EGR valve is open at WOT..... check your inbox Nate when your free