Thread: Stick shift truck crew unite!

Tuner in Training

Stick shift truck crew unite!

Hey all. Since the repository is just stock tunes now, I figured I'd make a thread to see who else has a LQ4/NV4500 combo and compare tunes.

I'll start off!

93 Octane.hpt

I don't have a full throttle log since I drive like a grandpa nearly all the time, but she pulls real strong the few times I have nailed it.

Truck is a 2000 Silverado 2500 LS 4x4 6.0 NV4500 3.73 gears, extended cab (3 door), 6.5' bed.
    A rare combo from what I can tell.
    Previous owner put on shorty headers and removed the cats and egr.
    I had to seal up all the leaks in the exhaust...
    Otherwise I added an Airaid MIT tube and tuned all myself. Mostly part throttle stuff, but I'm putting a wideband in soon to get full throttle fueling perfect.

Just got back from a 2 week road trip, I averaged 19 mpg on the highway going 65 through flat land and hills! Otherwise she seems to get at least 15 mpg even in winter city driving, albeit like a grandpa.

It's crazy how much these 6.0's wake up with a tune. I haven't been to a quarter mile yet, but I bet I can pull off a 14.

Potential Tuner 5_Speeds_in_OKC's Avatar
    I am in the process of refurbishing and upgrading my 2003 Silverado 2500HD (RCLB, RWD, LQ4, NV4500). It previously served as a fleet truck for a nearby city with a big tool bed on it. I have converted it back to the factory Long Bed. I have had it for over a year but still haven't driven it yet, except for maneuvering it around in my garage.

Since stock tunes can't be uploaded to the Repository anymore, I'll attach my truck's stock tune here. It may be of use for someone looking to see how GM handled the NV4500 settings in the P59 PCM. These settings in particular will come in handy on another project I'm working on -- converting my 2003 Yukon XL 5.3L from 4L60E to NV4500.

Your 19 MPG average in highway driving with a 2500 is impressive. Do you happen to know what gearing yours has? My 2500HD has 4.10 gearing so I imagine it'll be very quick off the line, but may suffer on MPG.

Tuner in Training
    I have 3.73s. Even with that, the gear ratios of the nv4500 make it quicker off the line than anything with a 4L80.

My truck is kind of a bastard since it's in the crossover years. It has the body of a 1500, but all the HD suspension stuff minus the thick frame in the back. I'm also ECSB and 4x4. About the rarest combo out there.

So it's a tiny bit smaller and lighter that an equivalent 2500HD. I also have stock size highway tread tires, ride height at factory spec, and stick to 65 on the interstate.
    It's all about giving it a better tune than factory and having everything mechanically sound.

I've since did, e fans, tbss intake, 241 heads with a valve job and bowl blend, and Cam Motion Titan 1 truck cam, and of course wideband tuned it. It's getting headers in the shop right now. Mileage is still the same.

Potential Tuner
    I'm here with an LQ4 / NV4500 2500HD. I love it. I haven't gotten the tune nailed down yet, but I pulled off a 10.01@71 best 1/8th mile. She's a ripper.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LQ4NV4500 View Post
    I'm here with an LQ4 / NV4500 2500HD. I love it. I haven't gotten the tune nailed down yet, but I pulled off a 10.01@71 best 1/8th mile. She's a ripper.
    That's pretty quick. What all have you done to it?

Potential Tuner 5_Speeds_in_OKC's Avatar
    71 MPH in the 1/8 mile is moving for a 2500HD! Launching in 2nd gear I presume? 4WD engaged? I'm also curious to hear about your mods.

I have installed E-Fans in my 2003 2500HD NV4500 and performed an initial tune (to activate the E-Fans and have PE kick in sooner); however, I haven't driven the truck yet. Too many other automotive projects ahead of this particular one.
    ~~~~~~~~~S~A~V~E~~T~H~E~~M~A~N~U~A~L~S~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~
    Cargo/Trailer Hauler: 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD WT RCLB LQ4 NV4500 RWD E-Fans
    Family Hauler: 2003 GMC Yukon XL 1500 SLT L59 E-Fans NV4500
    Daily Driver: 2010 Toyota Camry 2.5L 6-Speed Manual
    Daily Driver: 2011 Toyota Camry 2.5L 6-Speed Manual