Thread: Gen 4 silverado Idle help

Tuner in Training

Gen 4 silverado Idle help

2010 siverado just installed a mild summit 8718 cam, been working on the idle for awhill it feels ok-ish, wondering if someone can look at the tune and log and maybe help me out a bit
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Pretty close man. It's a little lazy but spark is stable.

What are you not happy with?

Question about 16s into the log. It shows you're off the pedal pretty early but the rpm is still hanging up a bit? Am I seeing that right?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by hjtrbo View Post
    Pretty close man. It's a little lazy but spark is stable.

What are you not happy with?

Question about 16s into the log. It shows you're off the pedal pretty early but the rpm is still hanging up a bit? Am I seeing that right?

Tuner in Training
    Yes that is correct, idle hangs a bit, I haven't been able to fix that, any advice would be much appreciated,

Senior Tuner
    Please review these changes and merge across for a test.

Have dropped down your idle torque in the airmass tables. Also put throttle follower air flow step down back to stock settings.

Matched up your idle rpm tables.

Added a smidge more spark to your adaptive idle.

Also lowered your minimum spark a bit to give your trans torque management a bit more room, but feel free not to copy that change across.

Tuner in Training
    wow that you so much, this is my daily driver so it means allot, idle is great now, the only thing is it surges a little when i stop at a light, it was surging more before,

Senior Tuner
    We could really wake up your adaptive spark but it's fun to see how far we can go with it like it is.

Made more changes to your airmass tables and took throttle follower torque back to stock. Preserved your airmass A increase as best I can but have just lowered it more in the idle columns and blended up to the higher rpms. Everything else I left alone.

To be honest not sure how this one will go haha. It's part of the testing I've been doing on my own car with torque tables so I really look forward to seeing your next log for better or worse.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks again so much for your time! I tried the airmass change and it seemed to idle not to good so I put those tables back to stock, I lowered the base running airflow and messed with the throttle follower torque table, I was looking at other tf torque tables and I may not be setting it up the right way, but it does seem to idle and run better at the moment, again thanks for your time on helping me with this,

Senior Tuner
    No stress, happy that you're heading in the right direction.

Yes, looking at your idle torque reading, I went a bit hard on that last change . Glad you backed that change out and got going.

Suggestions only...

1. In your throttle follower table in the 200 and 400rpm column, make the couple of negative cells you have the same as the other positive cells in that column. I.e 80Nm for 200rpm and 50 (or 62) for the 400 column. It won't make a difference but just looks a bit better to eye (or the ones with OCD)
    2. Consider dragging your idle adaptive spark (under and overspeed) 1 column to left to wake it up a bit. It's nice that you can get a good solid idle without having to use it, but it does help return to idle and recovery rpm. All these little changes all work together to get you what you want. Perhaps find a balance between what you have now and stock. Maybe meet it halfway...

Lastly, just some hopeless information;
    With the airmass changes, sometimes medium to large changes can cause the trans to flare up on shift. If that happens, just reset / preset the adapts and let the trans learn the new PCS pressures for the given torque points again.
    Stock injectors / stock cam generally don't need to touch the VTT's. However, on a cammed install, reduce the idle part of the airmass down a bit to get the idle torque reporting around 30Nm and call it a day.
    But on the flip side, if the trans slips when in gear (worn out, stupid heavy towing), then bumping up the whole airmass A is a good way to trick the trans into generating more line pressure to keep the clutches together as well as commanding higher shift pressure due to hitting higher torque cells.

Tuner in Training
    did more reserch and digging around and experimenting, I think I nailled it ! or its really close, no more surging at all !!

Let me know what you think of the high octane timing table. its stock 6.2 sierra truck timing, woundering if I can add some more timing in there,

Senior Tuner
    If you want you can bump your min air up a smidge more to 8g/s in the 800 column then blend out to the 1200 column.

Don't like giving exact timing recommendations. Still on the learning curve like you. But you do have that dip to 6 degrees at the high airmass areas...

If you can create a rate of change custom math parameter you can evaluate street pulls against each other to see if your timing changes are still heading in the right direction.
    Something like speed.avg(-500) - speed.avg(500) will work. The hard part is having different atmospheric conditions day to day, using the exact same piece of road, no wind etc, same engine conditions, rich after reflash etc etc.

Tuner in Training
    Sweet, thanks man !!