Thread: stupid question

stupid question

why is it that a 2007 ls3 corvette has a maf curve that is double my ls3 ss sedan? so does a camaro with a 6.2 liter. sometimes triple the values for the maf calibration curve. i know that there are differences between the engines but my car would not even start if it were getting that much fuel. just wondering if someone who knows could explain. thank you in advance

Do they all use the same part number sensor? If not, then X Hz from one sensor does not mean it's the same amount of airflow as X Hz from a different sensor. The size/efficiency of the duct plays a big part in it too - a larger pipe that flows more air will give a lower Hz for the same volume of air.

that makes sense its just the fact that the camaro and corvette ve tables look similar too but thank you for responding blind squirrel. that gives me a different angle.

Yeah, but the MAP sensor readings can't get cut in half by going to a bigger intake. MAP is a direct pressure reading while the MAF Hz is rather indirect and depends on airspeed; it doesn't really know the volume, it only outputs a frequency that you have to tell it how much air that equals.

i was just comparing the tunes on the different 6.2 s and found that thw stock camaro ss maf curve is drasticly higher than a stock ss sedan. is the difference because the camaro L99 gulps more air than a stock LS3? if so then that doesnt make any sense. Also the stock vve table is way different but then again the whole tune is quite different. I just dont understand because they are the same size engine relatively

The MAF is technically measuring airspeed that is then converted, via the MAF tables, into an airflow value. The actual frequency coming out of the sensor is an indicator of airspeed and nothing more. A smaller tube flowing the same volume of air will give a higher frequency because the airspeed is higher. A larger tube can flow the same volume at a lower speed. The difference in MAF curves between different platforms with different plumbing and different sensors tells you exactly nothing about the amount of air each engine is consuming.

got it thank you for breaking that down