Thread: p01, p59, vin change, smog, etc

Tuner in Training

p01, p59, vin change, smog, etc

ok, lets get started.
    I want to go drag racing in 2 days. They require the car to be smogged and registered.
    I have a turbocharged LS swapped 2005 miata - p01 gen 3 ecu and harness, dbc.

I have majority of the emissions stuff turned off, good enough to pass smog, HOWEVER, i just got off the phone with my neighbor that does smog and he told me that yes, it'll pass, but it will get flagged because the smog machine will report to the dmv that the vehicle being smogged will be a 2002 suburban or whatever the ECU came out of.

SO, i figured, no big deal, ill change the vin via the wizard in HPT.... but i ran into my first issue. It will not let me because the ECU is a 2002 and the miata is a 2005. (Invalid VIN/OS pair)
    I downloaded a 2005 file from the repository just to test and it changed the ECU to the miatas vin flawlessly..... but now i ran into another issue, the difference between the 2 files are p01 and p59.

Is there a way to get by this?

My current ecu p01 is tuned perfectly and converting to a p59 won't be an issue, but im going to lose my tune and have to get it retuned. (costly)
    I have access to a 2005 p59 if theres a way to transfer my current tune, however, if my memory serves me right, the tables are alot smaller on the p59 than they are on the p01.

Please give me some insight on how you would approach this.
    Thank you so much!
    Last edited by wow; 06-23-2021 at 11:06 PM.