Thread: 2007 Silverado Z71 + turbo - looking for newb guidance

Tuner in Training

2007 Silverado Z71 + turbo - looking for newb guidance

Hello all, just joined and first post. Please forgive me if this has been answered 100 times. I did a quick search and didn't find anything stating what I had was X version ECM and I could make Y power.
    So I have a turbo Ls mustang & Megasquirt, which even a dummy like me can tune. The last time I "tuned" a factory pcm was with my '98 turbo Camaro SS via Ls1Edit and it was the wrong way...used the MAF and added fuel in via PE and a lot of methanol injection once the maf maxed out. I see HP Tuners has taken the game to another universe (well done btw).

So I have a Silverado and want to make a turbo kit for it. Not trying to set the world on fire, just make some more power for fun and towing. Realistically, 450-500whp would be great, and all I'd ever want. I believe I have a E38 ECM (p/n 12614085, service # 12597121) and am a bit confused on what this means to say the least. Through my searches I see some people say these newer ecms & maf's with the enhanced features can handle 600whp before maxing out, some much higher with larger tubing....but I am not sure if I have one of those applicable years. My biggest fear is the steep learning curve with SD tuning, as I am finally at a good place with my easy peasy MS mustang after a year or so and can't imagine the challenges with a factory ECM. I have tried to search a bunch but honestly, I get lost in all the lingo on here as I am a C student at best.

What do I have and what would you recommend as the easiest to tune, maf or just go for the kill and upgrade to a 2/2.5bar SD OS? I have a friend who has a HP module setup and will let me borrow as long as I need it, so it's just up to which direction to go and how many credits I need I guess.

Thanks in advance for any help,
    -Jrod

welcome im pretty new here myself but i have found that most everyone that views this forum is helpful so im sure you will find the answers you are looking for its just depends on when those people decide to look at your post. I can answer your question about how many credits you will need = 2. there are alot of forced induction guys on here but i am not one of them but anyways good luck

That's a 2007-only E38, and has a hard limit on the injector size at 63lb/h. But you do not need anything bigger than 63lb for 500WHP.

The MAF is limited but I wouldn't use a MAF in this anyway, don't worry about it.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you for the responses guys!
    Ok so if there is a hard limit for the injectors and you wouldn?t use the MAF, I guess you recommend 2bat SD? If so, with this new OS, does it have the same injector limit?

Sorry...told you I was a newb.
    Thanks again and God bless,
    Jrod

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    upgrade map sensor
    good injectors like 700/800cc
    upgrade your fuel pump
    boost a pump (recommended)

and your good to go
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Do you have the HP Tuners software installed yet? If not, go grab it and install. Open a sample early (2007-2008) E38 file. Apply the SD OS. Save as a new filename. Open it and look around at what's different. You do not need to license any files to do any of that.

There is a trick to use injectors bigger than the hardcoded limit called 'scaling' but unless you just really want to use injectors bigger than what you need for your HP goal there is no need to go complicating things.

Tuner in Training
    Sultan,
    Are you saying keep the maf but upgrade the map to 2 bar? The fuel system I can handle, it?s this bit twiddling I am concerned with.

Blind squirrel, I do not have the software installed yet as I don?t have the cable from my friend, but plan to get it from him soon. Unless you are just saying to install the software and play around with it. If I get the cable, will HP recognize what I have and give me the potential upgrades possible? I just don?t know if my ecm is supported and what options I have. I guess I should do that before investing in turbo stuff.
    As I said. The turbo and fueling are the easy part in my book, it?s getting the ecm to cooperate that scares me.

Thanks for the responses fellas. God bless.

The software installs the same whether you have a device registered/in your possession or not. It'll only ask you to buy credits when you connect to and try to write a new vehicle. You can open, view, edit and save (edit: maybe not save?, it's been a while) as many files as you like with no device present.

2007 Silverado 4WD 5.3 1GCEK19J37Z641179.hpt
    Last edited by blindsquirrel; 06-25-2021 at 09:51 PM.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouzetrap View Post
    Sultan,
    Are you saying keep the maf but upgrade the map to 2 bar? The fuel system I can handle, it?s this bit twiddling I am concerned with.

Blind squirrel, I do not have the software installed yet as I don?t have the cable from my friend, but plan to get it from him soon. Unless you are just saying to install the software and play around with it. If I get the cable, will HP recognize what I have and give me the potential upgrades possible? I just don?t know if my ecm is supported and what options I have. I guess I should do that before investing in turbo stuff.
    As I said. The turbo and fueling are the easy part in my book, it?s getting the ecm to cooperate that scares me.

Thanks for the responses fellas. God bless.
    yes you can keep your maf which will act like a IAT sensor reading temps, but in the tune its disabled and will rely on the MAP sensor to get the car tuned
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Tuner in Training
    Ok great, thank you for the file and the information. I will download the software and poke around some. I just didn?t want to get excited about some added tables/features and then my ecm not accept them. I also don?t want to buy 80lb dekas and not be able to use them.

Sultan, I had read somewhere that I could just remove the MAF and reuse the two wires for a standalone temperature sensor (I believe I?m using a 80?s GM vehicle IAT sensor in my mustang for MS)...but I guess just using the MAF would be less hacking I have to do to the truck.

Thanks again and God bless,
    Jarrod

Not a big deal to delete the 5-wire MAF and use a discrete IAT sensor. You just cut off the MAF plug and crimp a 2-wire IAT plug onto two of the existing wires. MAF is not needed.

You can use 80lb injectors. The trick is you enter the injector flow rate as half of actual, double the value in the Stoich table, and halve the values in the IVT Terms table. Search for 'injector scaling' (do not get confused by people talking about 'airflow scaling', the two often get mixed up and they're not the same thing).

Tuner in Training
    Thank you Blindsquirrel. I just got back from out of town, downloaded HP and will check out the file you attached. Thanks again guys, you are great!

Tuner in Training
    Just wanted to say thanks guys for all the help. I was able to get the cable and get it set-up on my laptop...had to manually install the drivers thanks to help from this site. I hope i didn't fubar anything up with my friends HP cable/account but I will pay him in full for the cable is so.
    I haven't been able to license my truck to this cable yet, can't seem to find how to as I don't get prompted or anything but I was able to read the entire ecm/tcm etc and believe I have the right file from it. I was able to do a log file too. Can't believe this truck only commands 11.5-14 degrees of timing at WOT but that's what I am getting and what is in the high octane table. I am running about that with 12lbs of boost in my mustang and a 5.3, pump gas and water/meth injection.
    I say I believe this is my tune and not the one posted above because years ago I had a tuning friend disable my DOD and this file represents that.
    Based on upgrades, it says I can do the 2 bar upgrade....am I reading that right?

I would like to do a few tweaks to the truck now N/A just to get my feet wet with this HP tuning stuff. Anyone have a few simple but helpful tweaks I should do? more timing? disable torque management, etc? I can find info out there but not sure if I should follow them or not (I'm a little scared to take the "write" leap lol.

Here is the log file too, pretty boring and only one little WOT blip in the middle to 45mph. TPS only went to 83%, I am reading that's normal for DBW TB?

Thanks again for all of the spoonfeeding!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Also another dumb question, can I use the CAN based AEM WB sensor I keep reading about or is my truck too old? I am using a MVPI pro cable so it does have the green wire block on the side for inputs.
    Thanks and God bless,
    Jarrod

You can use the 30-0334 without Pro features, it's intended to piggyback onto the OBD connector and does not use the Pro inputs. Though, you can add pins to the connector on the WB and get the same 0-5v and serial outputs that the non-CAN 30-0300 has.

You are using the (SAE) channels. Use the non-generic GM-specific channels instead and you will get numbers that look more like reality.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Blindsquirrel. Ok so even though this says 2008 and up with CAN, this will work on my 2007 with the OBD2 pass through connector?
    https://www.aemelectronics.com/produ...and-uego-OBDII
    Last edited by Mouzetrap; 07-05-2021 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Misspell

Anything with a E38 uses CAN-BUS.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you for the confirmation 5FDP.

So I jumped into this things after reading a bunch. I just did the corvette servo which really helped a bunch...wow what a difference in shifts.

Then I noticed that my truck took forever to get into PE and so I made some attempts at fixing this, which it seems to go into PE when I want now. A WB is in the works but even the NB are reporting this thing is pig rich...but I guess it should be with 1.3 in the EQ table. I read on here I need to get my LTFT 0 or negative which I will work on but my question is with respect to timing in general and as it relates to TQ management.

My High Octane table only has 14 degrees in it, so it looks as if the IAT and ECT are the adders/retarders? Where is the best place to add timing and is it recommended to soften some of these IAT/ECT modifiers first? I also see a bunch of multipliers for these values which seem daunting to change and they currently have seemingly ambiguous values from the factory. I am just used to one timing table and that's what it is unless the vehicle is unless it's trying to control idle.

Sorry for the long log file but I kept waiting for a good spot to test out the truck, if you scroll to 1:19:44, this is a rolling 1st gear wot run. I notice timing is pulled as I roll into the gas and then a bunch is pulled at the shifts. I have read some remove all torque management and some recommend only removing 40% of it. I would like to keep some as this isn't a race truck...where is the best place to do this? I found the abuse mode tab with a percentage you can adjust but then read on here last night that I shouldn't touch that.

Thanks again for all the help.7-11-2021 after servo and PE.hplsilverado 7-11-21 PE changes.hpt