Thread: Help for a newbie...

Tuner

Help for a newbie...

Hello everyone,
    I'm new to HP tuners because I know next to nothing about them. I would hopefully like to learn as much as I need to know to correct a problem with a 2016 Dodge Charger Scat Pack that I bought from another state that had a HP tune done when a Whipple supercharger was added and now it won't pass state inspection in my state (Vermont) because the system stays in a "closed loop" and the oxygen sensors have been turned off according to my mechanic. The original tuner told me that he did preform an HP tune on an aftermarket PCM he installed in the car and that the tune is "unlocked" so it should not be too much trouble to correct things so the car will pass state inspection. I have no idea of what equipment I would need to do this or if I should even attempt it for fear of messing up the systems in the car. Any advice or help would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks !

Tuner in Training
    The o2 sensors disabled were likely downstream due to cats removed, (which would absolutely fail an emissions test). If it's running closed loop, the upstream sensors would need to be working.

Advanced Tuner
    You need an MPVI2 and 2 credits.

The tuner that says it's easy to fix should be able to help you. If not, post your tune file once you get it figured out and folks here should be able to get the o2 sensors turned back on for you.

Does the car have real catalytic converters?
    If in doubt, multiply everything by 1.1.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kennygene View Post
    The o2 sensors disabled were likely downstream due to cats removed, (which would absolutely fail an emissions test). If it's running closed loop, the upstream sensors would need to be working.
    Thanks, guys. The car still has the stock cats intact as well as all the oxygen sensors installed and plugged in. The original tuner is several states away and doesn't do "remote tuning", unfortunately.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelDesna View Post
    Thanks, guys. The car still has the stock cats intact as well as all the oxygen sensors installed and plugged in. The original tuner is several states away and doesn't do "remote tuning", unfortunately.
    Post your tune and somebody here will chime in.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by spoolboy View Post
    You need an MPVI2 and 2 credits.

The tuner that says it's easy to fix should be able to help you. If not, post your tune file once you get it figured out and folks here should be able to get the o2 sensors turned back on for you.

Does the car have real catalytic converters?
    Do I need the two credits to "license" my laptop to my car when I hook up the MPVVI2 for the first time ? I've never done this before and am considering getting the MPVI2. Will I also need to download the VCM Suite from the site ?

Advanced Tuner
    Do I need the two credits to "license" my laptop to my car when I hook up the MPVVI2 for the first time ? I've never done this before and am considering getting the MPVI2. Will I also need to download the VCM Suite from the site ?
    Yes you will need to download VCM suite.
    You will license the car to the MVPI2 in order to write the file

Tuner
    Okay, thanks a lot, Mr. W.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by white1 View Post
    Yes you will need to download VCM suite.
    You will license the car to the MVPI2 in order to write the file
    I wrote to the people at HP Tuners and they weren't helpful at all telling me exactly what I needed in order to get my car in compliance with my state's emission standards. They just sent me their usual disclaimer. You think they would be more helpful when you want to purchase their products.

Advanced Tuner
    I wrote to the people at HP Tuners and they weren't helpful at all telling me exactly what I needed in order to get my car in compliance with my state's emission standards. They just sent me their usual disclaimer. You think they would be more helpful when you want to purchase their products.
    Thats a sticky area with the EPA right now. I dont blame them

Tuner
    Yes, I know, Mr. W., but I want to undo the emissions delete from the previous owner so the vehicle will comply with the EPA, not the other way around.

Yes, I know, Mr. W., but I want to undo the emissions delete from the previous owner so the vehicle will comply with the EPA, not the other way around.
    At this point your best bet is someone with factory programing capability. Such as the dealer or someone with the dongle and Chrysler programming access. They can do a program as new module and fix you right up