Thread: P0234 Overboost

Potential Tuner

P0234 Overboost

Tuning Ford Ranger 2012 3.2 manual, tried tuning it a few different ways, seems to be very random when I get this limp mode and code P0234 Overboost, I seem to be thinking its happening when the Boost is wanting to command more than the max turbo position of 80% but am unsure as I can not log this, any help would be much appreciated

Tuner
    You have a bigger exhaust?
    Tried dropping Boost Setpoint values around the area that triggers the issue? (Airflow->PressureControl)
    I guess you could increase the turbo Boost Actuator Limit but I don't know if that causes other issues.

My understanding is that the diagnostic is same/similar to the 6.7 which the following P0234 comments come from.
    The overboost monitor compares the desired vs. actual
    measured boost pressure while in a specific range of closed loop boost pressure operation. If the boost pressure
    governor deviation is greater than the calibrated threshold for 7 seconds, a fault is detected and the P-code is set.
    The closed loop monitoring window is defined as any inner torque above 50 nm, and any engine speed above
    1000 rpm.
    This diagnostic will detect a turbo slowly responding or stuck in the primarily closed condition.

Typical Overboost Monitor Malfunction Thresholds:
    If desired boost pressure - actual boost pressure < -15.0 kPa
    Ian B
    '15 Holden VF SSVR L77(gone), '19 Ford Ranger PX3 3.2TD, '22 Toyota GDJ150

Potential Tuner
    Thankyou! Will try this over the weekend yes the exhaust is 3? with highflow cat and single straight through muffler? larger intercooler and piping.

Potential Tuner
    I have found after tuning some of these Rangers they will do that. One thing I do after tuning is reset all the learned values with a decent scan tool and have found it usually takes care of it. However wont work if you are actually getting an over boost. Also I am only new to HP and use other tooling to tune these 3.2's.