Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flashing New 6L80

Potential Tuner

Flashing New 6L80

I am having the 6L80 in a customers 2013 5.3 Silverado 1500 rebuilt. I did a full read on the ecm, tcm prior to pulling the transmission. I have not applied any credits to license this VIN yet.

Can I just write the original OS back to the TCM instead of hauling it to a dealer? This should be a blank TCM, rebuilt transmission going back into the truck it was removed from.

No. Must have the factory software programmed with SPS first. Then a fast adapts, then HP Tuners.

Potential Tuner
    Ah what a pain, I guess if I plan do do many more trans swaps I should step up and buy a good J2534 pass-through and subscribe to SPS to download the calibrations.

Not all rebuilds require a new TCM.... Is the TCM being replaced?

Potential Tuner
    Didn?t know for sure when I dropped it off for a rebuild, but I?ll be finding out today.

The truck would move under its own power for a minute or two after cranking. Then would lose all gears. Shut it down and wait about 15mins or so and it would move again for a minute or two.

Quote Originally Posted by IARLLC View Post
    Not all rebuilds require a new TCM.... Is the TCM being replaced?
    I missed that it was a rebuild of a current install. So you are right. If VB is not replaced you don't need to flash.

Senior Tuner
    Try reading the cal file first. If the TCM has been replaced, some companies install a base tune file into them. If that's the case, just do a write entire with HP Tuners. I've done a lot of them like this over the last few years.

Potential Tuner
    First, thanks everyone for adding your $0.02!

I have the trans back in and the cal is still showing the same/correct OS. Adding fluid now to see what we get.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    No. Must have the factory software programmed with SPS first. Then a fast adapts, then HP Tuners.
    I've done well over 25 without doing this...

I do what OP did. Read out the original. Make sure the new unit is spec'd for what it is replacing. Install. Full write. Load adaptives.

Fast-learn has never done anything of use for me, personally.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Potential Tuner
    I have another 6L90 coming up soon, I?ll give this a shot. Logically I don?t see why this wouldn?t work, and it?s my own transmission so if I screw anything up at least it isn?t a customer?s.

Tuner in Training
    Going to try this out in the morning on a 2011 escalade esv, but the customer already returned the old trans. THIS IS A JASPER REBUILT trans. I have another tune from a 2012 denali that is problably exactly the same as far as the tuning. The read i did seems to be a trans that has a file written to the new TCM but its very odd for the vehicle. All settings are not right for an AWD suv. Im going to write entire on only the TCM and see if this eliminates the vehicle having to go to the dealership.

Tuner
    All Gm TCMs will come with base software installed into them, because they test them before shipment. Only thing you need SPS for is to attach the VIN of the vehicle to the TCM, so the ECM can communicate. you can but the cheap China MDI2 and get access to SPS and program anything GM.

Senior Tuner
    I've been able to write entire 6l80's with no issue. They do not require SPS like a ECM does.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    I?ve done this many times as well. All about the OS numbers matching the multiple OS number options that are able to function on the vehicle with that BCM, ECM. All have to interact and match it seems. Use a similar year, make, model trans full write over the new TCM, do not write ECM.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMann View Post
    I?ve done this many times as well. All about the OS numbers matching the multiple OS number options that are able to function on the vehicle with that BCM, ECM. All have to interact and match it seems. Use a similar year, make, model trans full write over the new TCM, do not write ECM.
    Same here. The TCM was bad in my 2011 6L80 so I replaced it with a new GM part a few days ago. I tried the normal write first and the TCM would not communicate. I then did the full write and it is working correctly.

Potential Tuner
    Kind of a newb to the 6l80 game. The trans in my Yukon is going out and I would like to do a driveway drop and salvage swap. I have found one out of a 2013 with 64k, both are Denali trim and AWD. I read somewhere that a 2013 will not electronically match (not compatible with) an 08 because it has extra systems in it. My question is, does this matter and can I use VCM editor to download the 08s coding and then write it to the 2013?
    Last edited by 7.5in.300BLK; 05-01-2022 at 10:13 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Estep40511 View Post
    All Gm TCMs will come with base software installed into them, because they test them before shipment. Only thing you need SPS for is to attach the VIN of the vehicle to the TCM, so the ECM can communicate. you can but the cheap China MDI2 and get access to SPS and program anything GM.
    What is the cheap China MD12 and where can I get one?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 7.5in.300BLK View Post
    Kind of a newb to the 6l80 game. The trans in my Yukon is going out and I would like to do a driveway drop and salvage swap. I have found one out of a 2013 with 64k, both are Denali trim and AWD. I read somewhere that a 2013 will not electronically match (not compatible with) an 08 because it has extra systems in it. My question is, does this matter and can I use VCM editor to download the 08s coding and then write it to the 2013?
    I think this might have got lost behind my last post. This is the question I really need answered. LoL.

Quote Originally Posted by 7.5in.300BLK View Post
    I think this might have got lost behind my last post. This is the question I really need answered. LoL.
    You will not be able to program the 2013 as a 2008. They are different enough that SPS will not allow it.
    -Greg
    2009 Maverick Silver G8 GXP M6 - 586hp
    Engine Mods: TVS 2300 Magnacharger ARH 1 7/8" long tubes with catted x-pipe
    Drivetrain Mods: Ram Dual Disc Clutch
    Suspension Mods: Pedders/Wretched basic drag pack - BMR trailing arms
    Misc Mods: Jamesbiz Catch can - GRRRR8 Heater hose relo kit