Thread: Need help with 2014 C7 Z51 Procharger tune

Potential Tuner

Need help with 2014 C7 Z51 Procharger tune

Long story short I had a P1X Procharger kit installed at a performance shop that does a lot of LSx motor work/builds on my 14 C7 Z51 M7. It blew the front main seal when they were tuning on their mustang dyno and it and it was also running too much boost 9/10psi for my liking. They replaced the seal with a LS3 seal and we stuck with the 4.00 pulley Procharger recommended. It still made 9/10psi so they halted and got a 4.50 pulley overnighted. They finished tuning it now running about 7psi and all seemed well. I got it home and the first time I really got into sustained boost pulling though 4th gear I got home and noticed oil was dripping underneath the car. I got it up in the air and it was coming out of the rear main seal this time. I hoped for the best and installed a Mighty Mouse Wild catch can to try and aid the crankcase pressure issues. I've done some WOT runs and no more oil leaks so far. The rear main seal must have survived and just let some oil past prior.

Anyway I send the tune files/log to a tuner and they said there were a few issues with the tune that could cause engine damage. I was never told what the issues were but I could take some guesses looking at the tune log. I am wondering if anyone can look at my tune/log and let me know what they think. The car made 569hp/517tq on their mustang dyno @ 7psi. It seems a little on the high side and I am wondering if I should get another shop to tune it again.

The car runs really strong at this point but I want to get some opinions from some knowledgeable people.

I understand I could possibly have some ring damage already but that even a leakdown might now prove that. Anyone that can look at the tune and give me their thoughts I would appreciate it. Btw the car is stock except for longtubes/offroad x/axle back and the Procharger kit.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    Also last time I was under boost it threw codes P2227 (Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance) and P2229 (Barometric Pressure Circuit High). The car was tuned with a LS9 map sensor installed. I believe the tuner just didn't turn off these codes. I cleared them with the torque pro app I have. They only show up under boost.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    you if did not install the baro breakout

the torque model will be off

which also also throw that code
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    you if did not install the baro breakout

the torque model will be off

which also also throw that code
    Yes you need to break out the BARO sensor from the multifunction air sensor(MAF) or you will read positive pressure on the BARO sensor and your pressure ratio will be wrong.

There are a few companies who sell a harness to do it or if you are handy with wiring, you can do the same thing.
    Last edited by cadillactech; 06-30-2021 at 09:12 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Sorry to say you have broken ring lands. Stop were you are now.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrenb View Post
    You are stating this as fact based upon the main seals leaking oil? Ring land issues people have discovered don't seem to cause major engine damage in most cases at least that I have seen.

I'm more asking for specific info on the tune itself rather than my motor.

Tuner in Training
    I'm with this guy... You may be lucky and they plumbed your blower to pressurize the crankcase, but that's unlikely. Seals don't just fail like that, there must be excessive crankcase pressure to push out the front seal.

Potential Tuner
    Sorry to say, it's very possible that he is right. Damage may have occurred when they ran it at 10psi. The fact that it's STILL blowing seals at just 7 psi seems suspect to me.

Advanced Tuner
    I will agree with everyone else that main seals should not blow unless you have pressurized the crank case.

This happens one of two ways, through an incorrectly set up PCV system where intake manifold positive pressure ends up in the crankcase or combustion pressure(blow-by) makes it past the rings/pistons into the crank case.

You may not have broken the ring lands, maybe just the rings are leaking that bad but if you ran 10PSI on this set up and had any kind of detonation, it is possible to break these cast pistons pretty easily. Happens all the time with factory GM turbo cars that aren't even modified for more power.

If it still blows seals, through a leak down tested on the engine once its hot and see what your leak down in on all cylinder. That way you can decide whether or not you have a mechanical problem or a tune problem.