Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tuning school

Advanced Tuner

tuning school

it would be nice if hp tuners would partner with more tuning schools other than the tuning school! ive been reading a lot about the tuning school and its not good! does anyone knows where i can get books to help understand tuning with hp tuners? im currently tuning a chrysler 300c/dodge transmission, help?
    By the prickle of my thumb something wicked this way comes!2008 Chrysler 300c! 2013 heads/220/230 comp cam/LTheaders/FTI 2600 stall converter.

Banned
    Pretty much experiment and learn from your findings is all you?re really going to find unfortunately.

Advanced Tuner
    Looks like there’s more help on other forums with dodge than here on hp tuner! Hp tuner is quite about help! I bought their products but they support the tuning school and it has bad reviews? Why not help your customers learn how to tune? I wouldn’t mine paying a reasonable price for the books or online classes!seeing how hp tuner and these forums are not much of help for the new guys! Anybody knows of a tuning software that supports its customers? Will continue to use hp tuner to tune but need help in tuning!
    By the prickle of my thumb something wicked this way comes!2008 Chrysler 300c! 2013 heads/220/230 comp cam/LTheaders/FTI 2600 stall converter.

Banned
    There isn?t any tuning platform that provides tuning education. There are resources out there that go to some degree for that like HP Academy.

Advanced Tuner
    Ive purchased a couple of the tuning school courses. Both online as well as print, and early last year took an in person class. I cant say much bad about the classes. There are some things that wont apply to you, there are some things that wont be exact, there are several things that will apply to you.

Keep in mind, while using a software such as HPtuners, a lot of things will require knowledge on your end. As you learn, there are a lot of things that will be trial and error.

Advanced Tuner
    i want to learn! ive been turning wrenches for 35 years, im having issues with the tables and all the choices. i paid a tuner to email tune, he has gotten the car better than it was! but im having issues after the tunes and thats where the problem begins. the tuner cant really help because hes not in the car? but we tuned the trans for firmer shifts and now im getting improper gear ratios on all gears, he and i have no idea.... i removed tune and installed the previous tune and still have the codes and limp mode. i see its a learning experience for both. need help, the car is needed.

Advanced Tuner
    i like HP Tuners!! too many unknown variables and it seems hard to find information on how to use them. one of these schools only tell you to change this and that but not explaining why, this is what ive heard from a few people. its pretty penny to take a chance.

Advanced Tuner
    changing ramp torque alone would cause improper gear ratios?

Banned
    The tuning school dodge transmission tuning book will not teach you anything, it?s basically $250 or whatever the cost is for what they like to use for shift points and shift duty cycle. It?s a waste of money. I can?t really be of much help with the nag1 transmission. All I can really say is change a parameter, see what it does and write down a description of what it does that you can understand because you are correct, the HP Tuners descriptions aren?t all that clear.

Advanced Tuner
    It seems I have no other choice now but to do as you say. We are dealing with a car that we can’t use and both the owner and tuner are stumped! I like the hp tuner setup and it’s capabilities but the lack of support is saddening!

Banned
    Gotta remember, HP Tuners isn?t in the business to provide tuning training, just in the business to provide a crude looking user interface with limited mapping of ecms and a pass-through interface.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    Gotta remember, HP Tuners isn?t in the business to provide tuning training, just in the business to provide a crude looking user interface with limited mapping of ecms and a pass-through interface.
    I’m learning it. I’m looking at RPM’s, Transmition output Rpm’s and dividing it to get the gear ratio. I’m get different gear ratios at different Rpm’s in same gear. Shouldn’t the gear ratio stay the same throughout the gear or would tcc or Tranny slippage change the ratio? At some engine rpm and output rpm equals gear ratio.

Advanced Tuner
    While monitoring current gear, unknown is there 99% of the time, split seconds it will say 1 or 2 but goes right back to unknown… help??

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo2gnx View Post
    I’m learning it. I’m looking at RPM’s, Transmition output Rpm’s and dividing it to get the gear ratio. I’m get different gear ratios at different Rpm’s in same gear. Shouldn’t the gear ratio stay the same throughout the gear or would tcc or Tranny slippage change the ratio? At some engine rpm and output rpm equals gear ratio.
    You?ll only match up gear ratios during lockup

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo2gnx View Post
    While monitoring current gear, unknown is there 99% of the time, split seconds it will say 1 or 2 but goes right back to unknown… help??
    Software/programming issue, need to contact support to get them to fix their errors.

Advanced Tuner
    should i set my tcc apply before or after my shift and 100 rpm lower release than apply would be ok?

Banned
    All depends on your preference and I would put a bigger gap between the apply and release

I understand. I started turning wrenches on Heavy Equipment in 1986.. Started playing with custom tuning a few years ago. I learn a little something more every time I scan or flash.
    Is this a new build on the trans? Is there some kind of relearn procedure after rebuild?

I know with the 6L80E in the GM world there is a relearn procedure that needs to be performed after rebuild especially if you change clutch clearances.
    I know the high stall convertors can cause this to fail because it doesn't give the drag the computer is expecting to see.
    One Dodge I did (68RFE) my scanner would not perform the relearn with his programmer installed. We had to set it back to stock, relearn the install his programmer.

Do you have another scanner to try and clear the codes?
    I've had a few that I had to go clear the codes in each individual module (ECM, TCM, TIPM, ECT...) I know you shouldn't have to, but I did.
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Advanced Tuner
    Ok I figured it out. The tune had the wrong gear ratios in it. I change 1st gear to 3:59:1 instead of 3:95:1 and the same for 2nd and 3rd. No more improper gear ratios but still dealing with no firm shifts…

Advanced Tuner
    How do I get notifications for someone commenting?