Thread: T42 communication issues in swapped Colorado.

Potential Tuner

T42 communication issues in swapped Colorado.

Hi guys. I am having issues with my LS swapped 04 Colorado. It has a E67 and T42 TCM. I keep getting the U0101 code. The speedo won't work and the 4l60e won't shift out of first. I have checked and the TCM seems to have power and the Canbus wires seem to be correct. The 4l60e is out of a 2007 NBS Tahoe. Anyone have any ideas if it could be tune related?

Potential Tuner
    I can send someone a copy of the tune if needed.

You can post the tune here for everyone to see. Click 'Go Advanced', scroll down to the Attachments section.

Aside from any ECM-TCM OS compatibility issues, you are going to have a real hard time finding a way to make a E67 talk to the modules in a '04 Colorado. E67 did not exist out in the world when that truck was built. None of the modules are able to speak E67.

Potential Tuner
    Here is the tune. Plenty of guys doing E67 swaps to these older Colorados, but with AR5's. Current Performance did the harness and the tuning.
    Attached Files Attached Files

The E67 ECM is capable of both CanBus and Serial Data communications - so that is not an issue with your specific conversion project.

The tune you posted indicates the following:

The E67 ECM is programmed with a 2009 operating system - from an LH8 5.3L Colorado.

The T42 TCM is programmed with a 2006 operating system - from an LS2 6.0L TBSS - which was original paired with an E40 ECM.

You have an operating system mismatch - which is why the ECM and TCM will not communicate - hence the U0101 DTC.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    The E67 ECM is capable of both CanBus and Serial Data communications - so that is not an issue with your specific conversion project.

The tune you posted indicates the following:

The E67 ECM is programmed with a 2009 operating system - from an LH8 5.3L Colorado.

The T42 TCM is programmed with a 2006 operating system - from an LS2 6.0L TBSS - which was original paired with an E40 ECM.

You have an operating system mismatch - which is why the ECM and TCM will not communicate - hence the U0101 DTC.
    Thank you, You are awesome! I have been dealing with this problem for several months. Even took the harness and computers off and sent them back and they said nothing was wrong. Which operating system would I need for the TCM? I also had a fully rebuilt 2004 4l60e in the truck and I thought the reason was that it had no ISS. So I bought a used 07 4l60e with ISS and it won't shift out of first. The 04 4l60e would actually upshift through the gears, but would shift weird.

The 4L60/65/70 transmission, used with LS based engines, had 3 versions over its production life.

These are identifiable by the number of pins on the transmission side of the main connector.

Early versions - from 1999 to 2006 - had 13 pins, and did not have an ISS.

The 2007 and 2008 models moved to a 15 pin design - which added an ISS (like a 4L80).

From 2009 to 2013, some models featured a 17 pin design - which had an internal Gear Position Switch setup.

In a conversion project, you can use an early 13 pin 4L60, with a later 58x CKP engine - however the ECM and TCM calibrations need to be carefully matched to ensure communication. Your 2006 TCM operating system will not communicate with an ECM beyond the 2007 model year.

The 2004 4L60 transmission that you originally had installed, could be controlled by your 2006 TCM calibration - hence why it shifted gears. However, the ECM and TCM cannot communicate, so the TCM was not receiving engine output torque data - hence why it shifted oddly.

Installing a later version 4L60 transmission (15 pin or 17 pin) will not correct the ECM and TCM communication issues - as you have discovered.

Hopefully Current Performance Wiring built the wiring harness with provisions for an ISS.

Count the number of wires coming out of the main transmission connector - hopefully it has 15 wires (not just 13 wires).

If your transmission wiring harness has 15 wires at the main connector, and if the later transmission that you installed has 15 pins on the transmission side, then likely the easiest solution is to update the TCM to a 2008 Truck (Silverado / Sierra) calibration.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you for the info. I have previously checked and the connector does have 15 wires.

Potential Tuner
    A little update. I flashed the T42 tcm with a 2008 TBSS tune I found on Hptuners site. Now the speedo works and I got rid of the U0101 code. Problem I am having now is that when I take off from a stop sign the truck bogs and throws two codes. P2119 and P1516. The truck revs fine when in park. I have replaced the throttle pedal and throttle body and still have the same codes and outcome. Could this still be tcm tune related? I attached a file of the current tune.
    Attached Files Attached Files