Thread: Help-basic info for 2nd gen (99) 5.9

Tuner in Training

Help-basic info for 2nd gen (99) 5.9

Buddy has a 5.9 Ram (1999) that is having some issues, hoping to sort out the tune a little to get the thing running properly (purposfully vague here)

It appears truck had a s03 or so3 whatever it is called smarty tune on it, and a cold air and some intake plenum.

I put in my MPVI2 and don't get a read on anything most tries. Eventually it registers some kind of ECU and that it's a dodge ram after get info enough time. I manually entered the VIN and came up with the right truck. The read says successful, and nothing pops up. I was using an old beta version of scanner and editor because I wanted to keep a trans adapt reset for my car, but even after updating to the latest stable version, no dice.

After some searching, I see that some of these trucks (later years) are write only. But beyond that I am having a very hard time figuring out how to do much of anything to this ecu. Even after putting the stock tune back in with the smarty, (and getting a read) editor is not allowing me to do any kind of upload to the ecu.

Also, scanner is saying that it cannot connect. Is there something wrong with the ecu in this truck? Is it normal to have to enter the VIN manually (it got saved in a drop down)? What am I missing here, and how can I unlock the tune ability?
    Lol one more thing, if anyone has a stock HPT file for this 99 auto truck that would be great. Can't find anything in the repository.

Hp tuners dont work on 2002 and older cummins
    03 cummins,175% flux injectors,dual cp3,s467.7/83 1.00
    Nv5600 with valair triple disc clutch

Banned
    Only things you can custom tune the VP pump trucks with is Smarty, MM3 and Quadzilla

Tuner in Training
    Sh*t, thanks I didn't realize there was a 5.9 magnum. Saw 5.9 on the supported list

Tuner in Training
    Alright great info Jim. Thanks guys I appreciate it. Bummer! But that explains that...