Thread: E38 idle spark limit?!

Tuner in Training

E38 idle spark limit?!

Hi all,

sorry, I have a weird question. Im tuning for German emissions insanity and therefore I need horrible idle spark advance values in order to get the converters heated after cold start. I retarded catalyst heating spark massively, still hunting for the possible limit while driving ([ECM] 12676), but getting closer. Anyway, the time I have during the emissions test in idle is by far the most effective time to light up the converters. For sure I retarded the idle catalyst heating spark also ([ECM] 12679 & 12680) and this gave me good resuts. However, there seems to be some limit setting not allowing less then -7 BTDC (or if you want so 7 ATDC) spark advanced (PID "idle advance") when in idle.

Can somebody point me a direction where this limitation might come from? Is it maybe a value or table we dont have access to? I already tested to reduce the base min spark table ([ECM] 12701), but this seems to dont have any effect on this phenomenon.

I need the hell's fire in the headers while idling after cold start! It's kind of stupid, I know, but unfortunately I need to tune for...

Thanks in advance!

Senior Tuner
    It's likely being limited by the Final Minimum Spark table. Once you adjust it accordingly, you should be able to bring hell's fire to your cats.

Tuner in Training
    Unfortunately not. As already said I tested to adjust min final spark base ([ECM] 12701). It showed -10 for the rpm vs. cyl air in question before the change. Actual idle spark was -7. A change of the table to -15 resulted still in a idle spark of -7, so I took this change back. Once I found the real reason for reducing spark not below -7 I might again need to change this table ([ECM] 12701), but for now this one is not the reason for the limitation.