Thread: Unlicensed vehicle

Advanced Tuner

Unlicensed vehicle

Trying to upload after my mpv1 took a dump on me. So I already had a V2 that I used for a couple of the new trucks it was required for. I have credits, I plug it in and click upload and it just says unlicensed vehicle. The licensing box never pops up for me to license the vehicle. Any ideas? I just resynced everything hoping that would help but no luck.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I'm sorry you're having troubles and we'd love to help you. Have you already opened up a support ticket? If so, do you have your ticket number so that we can review the status? If not, please open a support ticket here: https://support.hptuners.com
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    My Car (turbo'd 96 Z28) has been licensed and running great since 2015 or 2016. But recently, I purchased 2 more credits so I could tune a friends 5.3 powered 1980 T/A. Although I could download the original 0411 tune, after I made some changes for the injectors, I tried to 'write' the tune but I too get the 'Unlicensed Vehicle' msg and no prompt about licensing or using my new credits. I created a support ticket so we shall see. Did you get your issue resolved?

Quote Originally Posted by JASON11WS6 View Post
    Trying to upload after my mpv1 took a dump on me. So I already had a V2 that I used for a couple of the new trucks it was required for. I have credits, I plug it in and click upload and it just says unlicensed vehicle. The licensing box never pops up for me to license the vehicle. Any ideas? I just resynced everything hoping that would help but no luck.

Advanced Tuner
    Many times you can resolve these mysterious 'unlicensed vehicle' error messages by simply upgrading to the latest beta software. I have no idea why the software wouldn't generate a message suggesting that.
    2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing (733 whp)
    2022 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing (716 whp), 10.750 @ 134.77 mph
    2016 Cadillac ATS-Vs (eleven ATS-Vs in the 9s)
    2008 Pontiac G8 (first G8 in the 10s), 10.727 @ 129.87 mph
    2000 Bonneville SSEi (first 3800 Bonneville in the 10s), 10.711 @ 125.71 mph
    1999 Grand Prix GT (first 3800 FWD in the 8s), 8.902 @ 154.90 mph
    1998 Firebird (first 3800 RWD in the 8s), 843 whp, 8.991 @ 152.12 mph
    1998 Grand Prix GTP (first 3800 FWD in the 10s), 9.499 @ 145.13 mph

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapout Tuning View Post
    Many times you can resolve these mysterious 'unlicensed vehicle' error messages by simply upgrading to the latest beta software. I have no idea why the software wouldn't generate a message suggesting that.
    Most unlicensed vehicle errors aren't software related, i'd say 90% of them are caused when there are 2 devices showing up in the settings folder. Ie one device has a license for the vehicle but the other doesn't and customer is trying to use the device that doesn't have a license for it. I'd say maybe 1% might be attributed to someone using a software build from 10 years ago or something weird but they are very rare.

Potential Tuner
    Just wanted to chime in since I'm new to this forum too. Had a similar hiccup with my V2 after my trusty old mpv1 gave up the ghost. Frustrating, right? Tried the whole resync routine, but nada.

As for the licensing issue, it's weird that the box isn't popping up. Have you checked for any updates or patches for your software? Sometimes those little fixes can make a big difference. Also, double-check your credits just to be sure everything's in order there. And hey, since we're talking trucks, have you checked out New Car Invoice Pricing & Reviews? I stumbled upon it recently and found some great insights. Maybe it'll help you out too invoice-pricing.com. Have you tried reaching out to customer support? Sometimes they can work magic.
    Last edited by amiladhishan; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:30 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeSullivan View Post
    Just wanted to chime in since I'm new to this forum too. Had a similar hiccup with my V2 after my trusty old mpv1 gave up the ghost. Frustrating, right? Tried the whole resync routine, but nada.
    So you had a license for the vehicle on your MPVI1, then tried to license it on your MPVI2 as well? 99.99999999999999999999999999999999% of the time that is the issue. Software is simply trying to save you money because it sees that you already had a license on one of your recently connected devices. In order to license it on your MPVI2 you need to delete your license.dat file, then it will let you license it on the new device.