Thread: Under load, car misses and hiccups

Potential Tuner

Under load, car misses and hiccups

Recently new to tuning, I?ve got a 2010 camaro ss with FBO, Cam, and BAP. Tuned my car perfectly for idle, partial throttle/cruise, and WOT. Helped my buddy install a new cam, springs, etc? and have ran into nothing but problems while tuning. First night tuning went smooth, got the fuel trims and idle cleaned up. Next day 1 bank was 30% lean and acted like it forgot everything I did tuning wise. Decided to reset and start fresh and got it figured out. Fast forward to WOT tuning, under any load the car will miss and breakup(especially around +4000rpms). Checked spark plug gap and all were at .35 except one was at .26 so regapped and tried again. Fail, car does the same thing(in and out of PE over 30% throttle). I don?t have a file or log to put in because i don?t have my laptop. But, maf seems to steadily increase, goes into PE and using a wideband there is no fueling issues, for spark it smoothly goes down to 15 degrees of timing(as a base) and is rock solid/doesn?t move. Could really use some help with this one. Any suggestions on what I should log and look out for while recording to help diagnose wether it is a mechanical or tuning issue would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time in advance!

Senior Tuner
    A datalog would help us to diagnose this issue. Otherwise, we are all just guessing.
    But, I'll throw a couple of guesses out there. Assuming you have a proper AF ratio at WOT, I'd say that you're having an ignition issue under a load. What spark plugs are you using? Do you have OE LS3 ignition coils? Where did you ground the ignition coil harnesses? Did you ensure that the grounds are clean and free from paint or debris?

Potential Tuner
    Well I've got my laptop with the file and log in front of me but not sure on how to post it for ya'll to see...
    Proper A/F ratio from what I know, using TR6's at .35, stock ignition coils with 130,000 miles. Ground is on the back of both heads and are clean with no paint or debris
    Last edited by Nooby; 07-06-2021 at 03:34 PM.

Potential Tuner

Tune and Log test

#3 WOT.hpt#5.hpl

Hopefully attached the files correctly

Senior Tuner
    It looks like an odd surge. I would add 7-8 degrees of timing and try it again. With the timing that low, it's not going to be happy.

Potential Tuner
    Would you recommend to add 7-8 through the entire table or just where the breakup happens?

Senior Tuner
    Try making it something like this. I'd recommend 93 octane.

hp tuners timing table.jpg

Potential Tuner
    93 isn?t available where I am located(Tulsa, OK). I?ll take a degree or 2 down and let you know how it goes

Tuner
    Your timing is too low, use the table Kevin posted. Copy the High Octane to the Low Octane and be sure to lower the timing values in the low octane table when you are done tuning. It was 15% lean when you started tipping in the throttle. Your MAF curve is very choppy so i went ahead and i smoothed it out for you . You need to calibrate this table still just wanted to give you something to start out with. You need to calibrate the maf table in steady state, any transient data will introduce error into your data log.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2000 WS6 Trans Am LS3, Tick Performance Stage 2 cam, ARH 1 7/8" Headers, FLT Level 6 4L60e, Circle D 5c Launching on a 200K 10 Bolt

2001 Camaro SS M6 Black on Black

Potential Tuner
    Well upping the timing didnt seem to help, tried swapping wires and coils. Still the same error with the smoothed out maf table. Before it seemed to start cutting out at the beginning, kindve mellow out in the middle and just as it got to 4k rpms it cutout again. Seems to cut out more consistently through the pull after changing timing. i know afr is lean at the beginning and rich throughout the pull so im not sure if afr would have to do with the issue#3 WOT FIXED MAF.hpt#6.hpl

Senior Tuner
    You're not going to fix this issue with the tune. Even though it's still too rich at WOT, it should run fine with your current tune.

Does it sound like an ignition misfire, or more like valve float...in which case it just wouldn't want to rev properly.

Potential Tuner
    Ok well it turns out it was a ground(the ground on the back of the head). Fixed the issue but now ive came across another/a few. Drove for 5 mins fine and then car started bucking and lower power mode came on.
    Codes that came up are:
    0x541: B3205 - Driver Window Motor (Pending, Current, Old)
    0x541: B3210 - Passenger Window Motor (Pending, Current, Old)
    0x543: C0242 (History)
    0x543: U2100 - CAN Bus OFF (History)
    0x7E8: P0056 - HO2S Heater Control Circuit (Bank 2, Sensor 2) (Pending, Current, Old, Permanent)
    0x7E8: P0161 - O2 Heater Circuit (Bank 2, Sensor 2) (Permanent)
    0x7E8: P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1) (Permanent)
    0x7E8: P0451 - Evaporative Emission System Pressure Sensor/Switch Range/Performance (Permanent)
    0x7E8: P0651 - Sensor Reference Voltage B Circuit / Open (SES, Pending, Current, History)
    0x7E8: P2135 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A/B Voltage Correlation (SES, Pending, Current, History)

#3 WOT FIXED MAF.hptproblem.hpl

Managed to get the car home but i honestly dont know what to look for at this point. not sure if somehow shorted out the ecu or if it is something really simple(hoping for but never is). Posted the tune and log so hopefully someone has came across this issue before and could give some recommendations on diagnosing.
    Last edited by Nooby; 07-06-2021 at 11:29 PM.

Diag the P0651 and P2135 in that order. Pull on wiring at throttle body to see if you have a broken wire inside the insulation. Specifically any yellow wires. Don't ask me how I know.

Potential Tuner
    Both p0651 and p2135 are fixed, not sure how but they?re gone. The 2 codes I am having issues with are U2100 and C0242. Added a couple extra grounds so that can?t be the issue. Not sure what to start with