Thread: LSA G8 Safety Mode

Tuner in Training

LSA G8 Safety Mode

Howdy, I just finished up my LSA blower install on my G8 GT. I have the tune setup to where the car starts, idles, cruises just fine, but when I do a WOT pull I wind up in "safety mode". I have the p0068 test set to not run until 8000 rpm and the p101/106/121 tests to not run until 240 degrees so I dont think that's the issue. Could it be my gold blade throttle body shutting things down? I also noticed my air fuels are a bit sporadic when I'm in boost so I'm wondering if there is just something set up wrong in the tune itself. Any help is appreciated!

Tune is attachedG8 6.0 LSA FID1000S pump gas.hpt

Thank you

Tuner
    I?m not near a computer to check the file but post a log too.

Tuner in Training
    Log below.

reduced power2.hpl

I am at work so I can't check your file but have you increased your MAF frequency fail high, it likely needs to be increased for the extra airflow.

Senior Tuner
    It'll give you a code when it goes into reduced engine power on that application. You'll have to just datalog it and see what code it's giving you. How do you get it to go back to normal mode? Do you have to shut it off and restart it? Or do you just clear the codes with the scanner? I'd be very careful about making another pass like the one on the reduced power2 datalog...it has a lot of knock retard, and it appears to go very lean around 5000 rpm.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTuner View Post
    I am at work so I can't check your file but have you increased your MAF frequency fail high, it likely needs to be increased for the extra airflow.
    MAF high is at 14,500hz

Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    It'll give you a code when it goes into reduced engine power on that application. You'll have to just datalog it and see what code it's giving you. How do you get it to go back to normal mode? Do you have to shut it off and restart it? Or do you just clear the codes with the scanner? I'd be very careful about making another pass like the one on the reduced power2 datalog...it has a lot of knock retard, and it appears to go very lean around 5000 rpm.
    The weird thing is no codes show up on the scanner, but if I hit "clear dtcs" the car runs fine again. I added a lot of fuel past 9000hz last night after seeing the wideband readings.

Senior Tuner
    I see that you've changed a lot of the DTC's to "No Error Reported"...including P0068, P0101, P0102, P0103, P0106, P0120, P0121, P0122, P0123, P1101, P1516 and P2101. You can't do that. You need to set them back to the factory settings...typically "MIL on First Error". That'll let you know what's forcing REP.

Tuner in Training
    I see that you've changed a lot of the DTC's to "No Error Reported"...including P0068, P0101, P0102, P0103, P0106, P0120, P0121, P0122, P0123, P1101, P1516 and P2101. You can't do that. You need to set them back to the factory settings...typically "MIL on First Error". That'll let you know what's forcing REP.
    So on this engine setup would the appropriate thing to do be set them all to "MIL on first error" and have the tests not allow to run? The car was throwing a code for 1516 and 2101 before I disabled them..

Tuner in Training
    To save a little face I should mention I got this car off another person. It was already LSA swapped and blown up. We rebuilt the engine and I started off using the tune that was already on the ecu.......I am thinking maybe I should find a stock file and start from scratch.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ParmRisotto87 View Post
    So on this engine setup would the appropriate thing to do be set them all to "MIL on first error" and have the tests not allow to run? The car was throwing a code for 1516 and 2101 before I disabled them..
    Oh, It looks like you answered your own question...that's why it's going to REP mode.

Tuner in Training
    Oh, It looks like you answered your own question...that's why it's going to REP mode.
    You're right......I need a vacation lol....Is the typical cause of this a bad throttle body?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ParmRisotto87 View Post
    You're right......I need a vacation lol....Is the typical cause of this a bad throttle body?
    Possibly. You can try opening the P2101 parameters a bit more first and see if that fixes the issue. It's been changed from 7% to 10%. You might try a bigger number there. Maybe try 20% and see how it does.

Tuner in Training
    Possibly. You can try opening the P2101 parameters a bit more first and see if that fixes the issue. It's been changed from 7% to 10%. You might try a bigger number there. Maybe try 20% and see how it does.
    Thank ya, I appreciate the help!

Side note, do you see anything else that could cause the AFRs to vary a bit while in boost? I did the vacuum boost patch which I thought was the correct thing to do, but I keep wondering if there is something the former owner did that I didn't catch
    Last edited by ParmRisotto87; 07-06-2021 at 11:47 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Started over with a stock file and stock dtc list. Throws p1516 almost every time I get into boost. Going to throw a new TB on and see if that helps.

Potential Tuner
    You can open up the fail parameters for the P1516 DTC. I've seen LSA cars cause the throttle blade to flutter. Open your tune file. Go to Edit> Add Slave Segment Data. Save and reopen the file. The parameters will be show under the P2101 in Engine Diagnostics>Airflow. 20-30% should be enough. I have seen calibrations from others with it set to 99%

Do you have anything in the intake that could come in contact with the throttle blade. If the blade is restricted, it will throw the code. It could also be the intake tube being too far inside the sleeve and the blade hits it.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Tuner in Training
    I never followed up with this, but we put on a known good factory g8 throttle body and all issues went away.

Car made 595whp at 10psi on 93octane and runs great.

I appreciate all the replies!