Thread: Cammed L86 Unstable Idle

Tuner in Training

Cammed L86 Unstable Idle

2014 Chevy High Country 6.2 with a BTR V2 Torque cam with phasing limiter other than that it is all stock. I feel like I have done all that I can with the idle and cant get control of it. It wants to hunt around for an idle and torque management advance still comes into play and effecting the idle. First started getting the fueling as close as a could on the MAF & VVE tables with the narrowbands. I have reduced VT tables in the idle area bit by bit and still no fix. Got close to zero pedal engine torque but still have TMA. Messed with Idle Torque external load table and speed control reserve adding and taking away with no good results. Played around with immediate idle speed control and I even read on here about reducing peak torque table in idle area and no luck with that. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    You've got a little work ahead of you first. It's throwing DTC's for both knock sensors. That needs to be fixed first.

For now, copy the high octane table over the low octane table.

Return both the Immediate and the Predicted Idle Speed Control tables to stock.

Return the External Load table to stock.

The Idle Speed control reserve is less than stock. I'd double it from 750rpm down. Then interpolate from 750 up to 900.

You might even try bumping the idle speed to 750 or 775.

The VVT tables need to be addressed as well. I would typically start retarding that cam around 1 degree at 3800 rpm, and up to 4 degrees at 6000 rpm.

Then you can start playing with transmission TM and pressures. Don't forget to zero the TCC slippage tables too.

Tuner in Training
    I noticed those knock sensor codes but I didn?t think they were effecting the tune. I know they are working because I was getting a bunch of knock in 5th and 6th gear at low rpm/high load the converter would shudder so bad and had to unlock the converter in 5th and 6th gear to make it drivable so I?d mention on getting an aftermarket torque converter to help with drivability with that cam.

I?ve had all idle torque tables stock and raised idle rpm and reduced VT tables in the idle area with less luck then I have it now.

I thought with an aftermarket cam you delete VVT?

I will zero out TCC slip.

I?m pretty new to this gen5 stuff and would really like to learn it and understand it better. Thanks for all the help I appreciate it.

Tuner in Training
    Well the motor started making noise and the owner came and took it back and found 3 burnt rod bearings, so I wont be back to tuning this idle problem for a little while.