Thread: Do misfires show up as misfires in scanner?

Do misfires show up as misfires in scanner?

Seems like a silly question but I'm running a ZFR turbo and MS109 race gas in an LHU Ecotec and above 15 psi boost, it seems to misfire. I have new stock plugs in it, gapped to .030 and I added "Total Misfires" PID in Scanner and no misfires show up in the logs. AFR are high 9's, low 10's at the richest, plugs look dark brown. Any ideas on what is causing this?

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    possible rich missfire. your target afr should in the 12's for the direct injection system. fix your rich fueling issue first.
    cylinder missfires can also cause the O2 to read rich as unburnt fuel passess into the exhaust manifold. It sounds like you have a rich condition causing this problem but without seeing any files none of us can say without a doubt that this is the case.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    possible rich missfire. your target afr should in the 12's for the direct injection system. fix your rich fueling issue first.
    cylinder missfires can also cause the O2 to read rich as unburnt fuel passess into the exhaust manifold. It sounds like you have a rich condition causing this problem but without seeing any files none of us can say without a doubt that this is the case.
    I tried to post the log file but the forum site wouldn't let me add it, I'll try again now. Nope, still can't add it
    Last edited by marksawatsky; 07-16-2021 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    Thank you for your advice, I leaned tune 5% and the misfire went away. I'm still running 10-11 AFR's but the engine is no longer misfiring. I am running an oxygenated race fuel (VP Race MS109) so I'm not sure how much I want to lean it out further

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    the di motors dont like being that rich. the ecu runs commanded based on lambda. afr values al calculations based on pump gas. if your commanding .86 lambda at wot it doesnt matter the fuel.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman