Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you see for max timing for power on an ls engine?

Advanced Tuner
    Put it on a load control/bearing dyno, measure torque output and start adding timing a degree at a time at the speed and load points you are trying to dial in. Sometimes this means doing a proper spark hook test and reviewing data after the run. Really helps to have a good understand of the dyno you are using so you can accurately plot your torque curves over each other.

Once your torque output levels off, back the timing up. How much you back it up will depends on the build, the fuel you are using and how much safety margin you want built in. Can you afford to blow it up? If yes then run it at max torque. If you can't pull out a few degrees and be a little safer with less power.

This is after you have already dialed in your airflow model to at least a 3% or less error. Then you can play with adding a little fuel and maybe adding some more timing.

28 degrees isn't unheard of but you will never truly know how much advance is required for best torque and no knock.

I think 26 degrees is a good max target for a GENIII on the street in a passenger car. If you have a heavier vehicle, you want a little less advance. Log knock on street driving as it can load a vehicle much different than a dyno depending on what kind of dyno you have access to.

Tuner
    Well I took it to the drag strip today and got to play around a little. My best pass was at 28 degrees and 6500rpm shift. I did not try 30 but when I made my first pass the data log showed 13 degrees from 5500 to 6250. that was a 14.7. I bumped it to 26 and made a 13.8, then to 18 and made a 13.7, then bumped the shift rpm to 6500 and made a 13.5. Gonna leave it there as this is just a fun project truck and am not looking to race it much more. Thanks for the advice/ words of wisdom. I could probably squeak a little more out with some fueling or lower end timing but I made it to where I wanted. If I went with a looser converter I would be knocking on the 12's.

A word of caution. The stock 4l60e will not handle shifts frequently from first to second much higher than 6000rpm on a regular basis. In first gear the drum spins double the engine rpm. If you set the shift point for 6500, let me know how long it lasts.
    2001 Silverado 5.3 - 209/217 cam, GT45 Turbo on 7lbs, Aem x-series wideband, 50lb/hr flex fuel injectors, on E85 with content sensor

1999 Silverado 6.0/4L80E Summit Stage one camshaft, 317 heads (replaced cast iron)

Tuner
    Well aware of the 4l60E's weaknesses. This one is on borrowed time to begin with considering it has 200k on it. When it goes I will be building it stronger and throwing a converter in it. I go the truck where I wanted it and do not plan to run it down the track anymore. I just wanted to make a 100mph pass at under 14 seconds. Being a 3000lbs truck, when it shifts into second and third at wide open, it beaks the tires loose even on the track. It is not dropping much RPM. Between the tire spin and only dropping to 4k rpm it should be ok for quite awhile especially considering that I am done racing it for the foreseeable future. Also with a 3.06:1 first gear, it would be spinning 3 times as fast as the engine but almost double what second gear would be at a 1.6:1 ratio.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by fastslvblkcar View Post
    Well aware of the 4l60E's weaknesses. This one is on borrowed time to begin with considering it has 200k on it. When it goes I will be building it stronger and throwing a converter in it. I go the truck where I wanted it and do not plan to run it down the track anymore. I just wanted to make a 100mph pass at under 14 seconds. Being a 3000lbs truck, when it shifts into second and third at wide open, it beaks the tires loose even on the track. It is not dropping much RPM. Between the tire spin and only dropping to 4k rpm it should be ok for quite awhile especially considering that I am done racing it for the foreseeable future. Also with a 3.06:1 first gear, it would be spinning 3 times as fast as the engine but almost double what second gear would be at a 1.6:1 ratio.
    Yes the 2-4 band is really the weakness in this trans once all the other components are beefed up. Corvette servo can only do so much.
    Glad you got this thing going fast down the track!

Tuner
    I think I could squeeze a little more if I messed with the power enrichment but I don't think it is worth it. I doubt I could break into the 12's with just more tuning. Would be pretty cool though.