Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: California Will Start Testing for ECU Tunes During Smog Checks

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.mike View Post
    Somewhere.... somebody..... is going to come up with a CAN-to-CAN bridge to install between the OBD2 port and the ECU, to intercept some PIDs, CVNs, etc. , and parrot back the stock responses; while passing through everything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    It is actually simpler than that. Kinda. I remember many moons ago the way to make sure you were downloading the correct software program off the internet was to use the MD5 hash. It made sure you were not getting a virus/or other malicious software. Pretty much the same thing with the CVN's. Somebody got smart and was able to fill the program with the right amount of "junk" and fool the MD5. Same thing here. There are people out there that can make the CVN read whatever you want. Give it some time and someone will have the software for "fixing" the tune.
    HP Tuners should be making this happen. Even if the checksum tool is separate to the VCM software and 'leaked' via a forum.

The can bridge is a nice idea too, much easier for the home enthusiast to create than going down the checksum tool road. I predict there will be solutions available shortly. There is definitely a market for it. If someone put together a can bridge that is rock solid bug free and covers many vehicles I don't think a charge of say $200 per unit is ridiculous. Good profit margin once dev costs are recovered.

Advanced Tuner
    Not sure tampering with CVNs is legal...

Advanced Tuner
    EPA does not make law. They make rules and try to set standards. Congress and or your state legislature have to draft laws that coincide with the EPA. Depends on your state. Which is why some states are mod friendly and states like California are not. EPA can make all the rules they want, until the state you reside in drafts such laws it doenst mean a whole lot.

Advanced Tuner
    Haven't researched it personally but someone mentioned previously that tampering with CVNs is codified in US federal law as a crime. Will there be enforcement actions against people and/or entities who do that? It's another matter entirely.

Potential Tuner
    Here is the Module the smog machines use to hook up to the vehicle if you can find anything about ot:
    http://drewtech.com/emissions/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by voqor View Post
    I don't believe that smog check can detect whether ECU is in stock or not, but I may not know something. I wonder will there be any fines for having tuned ECU or not?
    Things are still getting worked out. However the amount of info the EPA>CARB>BAR is collecting will make your head spin. They can detect just like we can if a CVN and software is a match or not. As an experiment just take any GM tune you have and change one single setting in timing by one single degree or VE by one single number and your CVN will change. As for fines well sure that is coming. Guarantee that. On top of that it will likely be like the system that they used when a vehicle was a "gross polluter". It would require going to a test only station for certification. I think they will register the vehicle in the DMV database so it is forced to go to a test only or STAR station as if it was a "high emitter profile" vehicle. None of this is designed to help you. Only to take more control of your life.
    Oh and if you think this is Kalifornia thing and I don't live there just wait. All this crap spreads to other states like a cancer.

Tuning Addict
    You know, not trying to get off subject here, but I always think it's funny. California is the only state that really starts all of this bull passing laws and regulations for polution and everything else YET IT IS THE WORST, MOST DISGUSTING and most poluted state I have EVER been to... They're just running off business's, tax payers and anything that makes sense with this kind of bs...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    You know, not trying to get off subject here, but I always think it's funny. California is the only state that really starts all of this bull passing laws and regulations for polution and everything else YET IT IS THE WORST, MOST DISGUSTING and most poluted state I have EVER been to... They're just running off business's, tax payers and anything that makes sense with this kind of bs...
    Still trying to make up for selling public transport to Firestone and Ford.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by tunerpro View Post
    So long as you've actually proven this to be true via a CARB approved testing facility, you're in the green!
    Fyi I was required to do this back ~1995 or so for a gray market BMW M6. It was $2600 and I had to take the car to Santa Rosa I think, and leave it there for ten days, then they'd tell me if it passed.
    Yeah, right.... If it was that much $ then, imagine how much now.

My truck is a CA vehicle code 580, so I was able to put whatever eng in I wanted. 1962 was a very good year, PCV valve was the only requirement
    Took it to a state referee with a 400 chevy smblock, Holley dbl 800, Victor Jr intake and a 250 deg @ 050 cam in it. When I pulled in the ref told me no way in hell that'll pass, but he was intrigued.
    After looking at it he saw I had no hose between the air cleaner and air filter, no vent at all. He said I have to have that hose but he was curious what it would read so he ran it anyway. Passed!
    So I installed the hose and emissions shot way up but still passed. So in short, not legal until I was pumping out about 50% more smog. Can't recall the details but someone stole that hose later that day and plugged the holes for me.
    '16 E550 Coupe RWD - C207.373 / M278.922 / MED17.7.3 / 722.909

Quote Originally Posted by chevota View Post
    After looking at it he saw I had no hose between the air cleaner and air filter, no vent at all. He said I have to have that hose but he was curious what it would read so he ran it anyway. Passed!
    So I installed the hose and emissions shot way up but still passed. So in short, not legal until I was pumping out about 50% more smog. Can't recall the details but someone stole that hose later that day and plugged the holes for me.
    I know you probably think that proves how dumb emissions laws are, instead, to me, all it proves is that you had fuel-contaminated oil in the crankcase.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by chevota View Post
    Yeah, right.... If it was that much $ then, imagine how much now.
    It's over $10000 to get tested now (if you go through SEMA)

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    I know you probably think that proves how dumb emissions laws are, instead, to me, all it proves is that you had fuel-contaminated oil in the crankcase.
    Negative, but thanks for the thought. And it is the emission rules that caused it, which has to do with how the carb works. If you're a carb guy then it'll make sense when you think about it.
    '16 E550 Coupe RWD - C207.373 / M278.922 / MED17.7.3 / 722.909