Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: California Will Start Testing for ECU Tunes During Smog Checks

This is really scary to me. I have no idea how to pass my c5z next february.
    You cant have a stock tune and not throw codes when your cammed/bigger injectors/no o2/no maf
    I am piggybacked now with holley efi and may be able to circumvent the injector and cam issue but i cant simulate a maf

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by onebigburb View Post
    Let me guess kit cars are illegal too?
    No they are fine as long as they are based on a certain donor car and have all the original emission controls of that donor vehicle.

https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/afterm...e-download.pdf

Potential Tuner
    So just to confirm, if I have a flashed ECU via HP Tuners and the only correction would be for tire diameter to correct speedo that technically the CRC, etc would be different because a single value has changed. That technically would fail me? I cant imagine what was said earlier in this thread about them only looking for smog related tables/values... to have to come up with the software for all the different manufacturers values/ports/etc would be mind numbing... hence why HP Tuners only supports a limited number of vehicles. I would have to bet that they just gathered the stock files/signatures for all the various years/models/trims directly from the manufacturers and came up with a giant database of signatures... when they plug in they grab yours and if theres no match because you've altered the original state that you then fail. I'm guessing the smog technician would get absolutely zero reasoning from their software other than "you have a modified ECU and thus you fail."

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kaOtyk View Post
    So just to confirm, if I have a flashed ECU via HP Tuners and the only correction would be for tire diameter to correct speedo that technically the CRC, etc would be different because a single value has changed. That technically would fail me? I cant imagine what was said earlier in this thread about them only looking for smog related tables/values... to have to come up with the software for all the different manufacturers values/ports/etc would be mind numbing... hence why HP Tuners only supports a limited number of vehicles. I would have to bet that they just gathered the stock files/signatures for all the various years/models/trims directly from the manufacturers and came up with a giant database of signatures... when they plug in they grab yours and if theres no match because you've altered the original state that you then fail. I'm guessing the smog technician would get absolutely zero reasoning from their software other than "you have a modified ECU and thus you fail."
    I am trying to get a answer for this also.

In HP Tuners for my vehicle, doesn't show a CVN or CAL-ID. I haven't been able to find any information if this is true for some vehicles or that if HP Tuners just doesn't have that information mapped out for some makes and models. No one has been able to answer this for me yet. I have also used other scan tools and haven't been able to find the location for a CAL-ID or CVN.

Quote Originally Posted by Samoflan View Post
    I am trying to get a answer for this also.

In HP Tuners for my vehicle, doesn't show a CVN or CAL-ID. I haven't been able to find any information if this is true for some vehicles or that if HP Tuners just doesn't have that information mapped out for some makes and models. No one has been able to answer this for me yet. I have also used other scan tools and haven't been able to find the location for a CAL-ID or CVN.
    Open your Tune in HP Click the ICON I circled: OS Number CAL ID & CVN for all segments
    My Snap on Scanner will get this info too
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Senior Tuner
    Lots of vehicles don't show CVNs in HP Tuners. Even some older OBD2 GMs. Neither HPT or even TIS2web show CVNs for GM 98-99 black box PCMS. Take a look at some Ford files.

Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Lots of vehicles don't show CVNs in HP Tuners. Even some older OBD2 GMs. Neither HPT or even TIS2web show CVNs for GM 98-99 black box PCMS. Take a look at some Ford files.
    Good to Know, Thank You
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Hey guys. I cant get to my original tune as its been 15 years since changing trans shift points, tire size and a smithering of other small stuff. Ive looked for the tune repository. Cant find it. Any help would be great.
    2003 HD Silverado 6.0 4x4 w/Quadrasteer 36" Michelin ZXL (255/100R16) (9.00R16)

So I found a video on Youtube that explains where to find it. Soooooooo never mind!

Edit: I scoured the repository with no luck.
    Last edited by 03Quadrado; 09-13-2021 at 08:56 AM.
    2003 HD Silverado 6.0 4x4 w/Quadrasteer 36" Michelin ZXL (255/100R16) (9.00R16)

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    CVN/Checksum number will change from a stock configuration. How do they/BAR know? BAR forced the manufacturers to give them the alphanumeric numbers. As an example you can go here and plug in your VIN. https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web It will give you the CVN's for the operating software as well as other sub programs.
    When i go to this site and it pulls up the 'part numbers' for my vehicle's vin, do these part number's reference the physical ECU, or are these part number's referencing a software version? Also, in several instance for my vehicle's vin, certain part number's do not have CVN's, (the corresponding 'CVN' box for a specific part number will have 'N/A' listed), does this mean that the smog station won't be able to cross reference the CVN if it is N/A?

Thank you for the information thus far, your posts have been very helpful in trying to understand this whole california smog cf. What frustrates me is that I've made changes to the ECU's software that make the vehicle run cleaner, and more efficiently (re-scaling the VE and MAF table using a wideband), which has no effect on my monitors. So if my monitors run, and pass, no dtc's, then wtf is the big deal?! (I'm not asking you that, just a complaint about the new rule. Gotta vent somewhere...)

Advanced Tuner
    What frustrates me is that I've made changes to the ECU's software that make the vehicle run cleaner, and more efficiently
    So long as you've actually proven this to be true via a CARB approved testing facility, you're in the green!

Advanced Tuner
    Somewhere.... somebody..... is going to come up with a CAN-to-CAN bridge to install between the OBD2 port and the ECU, to intercept some PIDs, CVNs, etc. , and parrot back the stock responses; while passing through everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.mike View Post
    Somewhere.... somebody..... is going to come up with a CAN-to-CAN bridge to install between the OBD2 port and the ECU, to intercept some PIDs, CVNs, etc. , and parrot back the stock responses; while passing through everything else.
    It is actually simpler than that. Kinda. I remember many moons ago the way to make sure you were downloading the correct software program off the internet was to use the MD5 hash. It made sure you were not getting a virus/or other malicious software. Pretty much the same thing with the CVN's. Somebody got smart and was able to fill the program with the right amount of "junk" and fool the MD5. Same thing here. There are people out there that can make the CVN read whatever you want. Give it some time and someone will have the software for "fixing" the tune.

sidejobjames. I hope the above post also answered your question. The CVN's are nothing more than a generated algorithm. Like a complex way of taking a bunch of numbers, adding them all up, dividing by 2 and adding 100 but much more complicated than that. What you have to understand is that the CARB is a bunch of angry liberals who want what they want and will ruin your day if they don't like you. They are what is wrong with Kalifornia among other things. Regardless, their opinion and it isn't wrong if you split hairs is any modification will effect tailpipe emissions. technically even a tire size change. Manufacturers spend billions trying to stay withing VERY stringent guidelines and still stay profitable. No business wants to get on the bad side of them. They will crush you, take your money, property, first born male child, and put you in jail.

So... continued viability of human life on earth is a political thing now. Of course it is.

Potential Tuner
    what happens if a California car is not smogged, but just registered and insured?

Advanced Tuner
    Sunshine and rainbows!

Quote Originally Posted by shreddingplace View Post
    what happens if a California car is not smogged, but just registered and insured?
    Kalifornia DMV will not issue you a new year tag. You pay the fee's of course. They want the money. Based on how an officers day is going he will pull you over for expired registration even though when he calls it in dispatch will tell him/her it is "pending smog". You can't get out of it. It's billions of $$$$'s in revenue for the state.

Potential Tuner
    i wonder if the LEO really cares if I'm pending smog? i cant imagine thats the LEO's priority durring a stop.. i would be more worried with the mass use of CCTV cams on highways and streets, with access to a DMV database and Ai software.. that will be writing the tickets for smog violations

Potential Tuner
    Just to update this saga. Recently someone posted that thier tuned (with HP Tuners) 2014 Caprice PPV made it through CA SMOG OK. AFM was deleted so the tune was done to delete it out.

And since I have not seen a backlash from all the truck guys complaining about all the fails from all the AFM delete tunes my assumption is the BAR is ignoring GM vehicle with AFM engines because they know 30% or more of them have had some kind of tune to turn off the AFM system after delete.

cap smog.png

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.mike View Post
    Should be able to do it right now with some tinkering
    https://cannylogic.com/

If they are checking checksums through CAN network this tool should be able to intercept and manipulate, if they are doing it through K-line, L-line or J1850 that may be a whole different beast. And most of those options are available through OBD2.