Thread: Tuners in CA are now f**ked

Tuner

Tuners in CA are now f**ked

This appeared in SEMA enews at 1442 PST on 15JUL

By SEMA Washington, D.C., Staff

Beginning July 19, California?s Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) will fail motor vehicles during their biennial ?smog check? inspection if they are found to have software modifications not provided by the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) or approved through a California Air Resources Board (CARB) Executive Order (EO).

BAR, which has had the authority to implement such inspections since 2013, has been gathering information from inspected vehicle ECUs since 2015. The gathered information includes CAL-ID (equivalent to a file name), CVN (equivalent to a checksum), EO status, and Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). This accumulated data is the basis upon which failure criteria will be determined. Disputed results will be referred to state-run Referee centers for further inspection.

SEMA is working with BAR to ensure that legally modified vehicles do not inadvertently fail inspection. During a meeting of the BAR Advisory Group on July 15, BAR staff expressed confidence that non-tuning ECU modifications, such as aftermarket wheel and tire calibrations, would not result in failed inspections. A recording of the meeting will be posted to the California Department of Consumer Affair?s YouTube channel in the coming days.

BAR anticipates approximately 5-10 vehicles will fail each day for illegally modified software. For context, BAR inspects approximately 1 million vehicles each month as part of the smog-check program. Roughly 10,000 of these inspections result in failures due to problems other than modified software.

SEMA encourages its members that manufacture performance-related products, including ECU modifications, to obtain CARB EOs to ensure compliance with emissions regulations.

For questions, please contact Peter Treydte at [email protected].

Advanced Tuner
    Get OUT of that communist state. Your tax dollars are not representing you in that state.

Why not do a tail pipe sniff ? If it passes then what the problem ? Is this a cash grab or abuse of power by the higher ups . If they want to curb emissions go after big factories or air planes . They spew mega tons of smog vs a tiny percent of hot rodders . It seems skews .

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
    This appeared in SEMA enews at 1442 PST on 15JUL

By SEMA Washington, D.C., Staff

Beginning July 19, California?s Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) will fail motor vehicles during their biennial ?smog check? inspection if they are found to have software modifications not provided by the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) or approved through a California Air Resources Board (CARB) Executive Order (EO).

BAR, which has had the authority to implement such inspections since 2013, has been gathering information from inspected vehicle ECUs since 2015. The gathered information includes CAL-ID (equivalent to a file name), CVN (equivalent to a checksum), EO status, and Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). This accumulated data is the basis upon which failure criteria will be determined. Disputed results will be referred to state-run Referee centers for further inspection.

SEMA is working with BAR to ensure that legally modified vehicles do not inadvertently fail inspection. During a meeting of the BAR Advisory Group on July 15, BAR staff expressed confidence that non-tuning ECU modifications, such as aftermarket wheel and tire calibrations, would not result in failed inspections. A recording of the meeting will be posted to the California Department of Consumer Affair?s YouTube channel in the coming days.

BAR anticipates approximately 5-10 vehicles will fail each day for illegally modified software. For context, BAR inspects approximately 1 million vehicles each month as part of the smog-check program. Roughly 10,000 of these inspections result in failures due to problems other than modified software.

SEMA encourages its members that manufacture performance-related products, including ECU modifications, to obtain CARB EOs to ensure compliance with emissions regulations.

For questions, please contact Peter Treydte at [email protected].
    Hib,

There hopefully there will be a simple way to adjust things - I would hope so.

I have been watching this and I am hoping to be able to download a (my) stock tune with my new tire height and 3.42 rear gear (2009 C6 Corvette, A6)

I guess my concern would be is when HP Tuners asked me to "Name" my "Stock" downloaded file I changed what it looked like from the factory - does that play a factor?

Does each Vin's tune have it's own part number from GM, so to speak, and would just adjusting that and leaving the file name alone will be fine or does this new test search each cell and table?

Or can I rename my current tune with a factory name/number and all be good?

Many questions and perhaps too early for any answers.

I welcome your feedback.

Thanks,Matt
    RIP - '98 LS1 Vette!
    E-MAIL - [email protected] Cell 661-406-7516

Bolt on Mods with an A4 and 3:15's:---------322RWHP and 327RWTQ
    TFS Head,Cam,Kooks LT's,Hi-FlowCats,X-Pipe:400RWHP and 400RWTQ
    New Cam Yank 3200 Stall, 3.42's-------------423RWHP and 399RWTQ
    ProCharger P1SC 3.85" Pulley 7.6 PSI Boost:565RWHP and 483RWTQ
    Meth Injection2BAR SDTune(Est720 HP@Crank):591RWHP and 496RWTQ
    Forged 347 3.7" Pulley FlipDrive, 14.4 PSI of B@@ST 701RWHP and 582RWTQ

Senior Tuner
    File name has nothing to do with it. It's the 1s and 0s in the file and the checksums they generate.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hpindy View Post
    Why not do a tail pipe sniff ? If it passes then what the problem ? Is this a cash grab or abuse of power by the higher ups . If they want to curb emissions go after big factories or air planes . They spew mega tons of smog vs a tiny percent of hot rodders . It seems skews .
    That's precisely what the CARB EO testing process is - a check to ensure the vehicle, when modified, be it by hardware, software, or both, doesn't emit any more emissions than it did from the factory.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by madmatt9471 View Post
    Hib,

I have been watching this and I am hoping to be able to download a (my) stock tune with my new tire height and 3.42 rear gear (2009 C6 Corvette, A6)

I guess my concern would be is when HP Tuners asked me to "Name" my "Stock" downloaded file I changed what it looked like from the factory - does that play a factor?

Does each Vin's tune have it's own part number from GM, so to speak, and would just adjusting that and leaving the file name alone will be fine or does this new test search each cell and table?

I welcome your feedback.

Thanks,Matt
    Hi Matt,

2xLS1 has the correct answer as stated in a BAR post - https://www.bar.ca.gov/ARSC/Newslett..._Modifications

There's not a method of correcting the checksum/CVN as changing a word, even misspelling a word, changes the CVN in a calibration file. For GM, this was for the most part implemented (CVN) due to high warranty costs associated with DuraMax's and the failures that occurred due to ________ & _____,... The first year I recall was 2005.

One thing I have noticed is GM's database is not 100% accurate when it comes to these numbers. What this means is if GM was going to brand my title/void the powertrain warranty based this alone, and the vehicle has not been modified, I'm going back to them that the information is not correct. The question would be how to prove this and who's responsible. This is on a car that would be under warranty. For your car it would probably result in a letter asking you to bring the vehicle to a Referee Station to have the car inspected even if no modifications have been done. If modifications have been done, then you will probably be f'd.

Based on GM's responses to fixing SI errors on older models, it would probably take a court order to get changes made. I'm guessing the BAR/CARB is not going after Malibu's and the like, but trucks, Vette's, Camaro's,... or any of the other manufacturers with high performance cars.

Quote Originally Posted by tunerpro View Post
    That's precisely what the CARB EO testing process is - a check to ensure the vehicle, when modified, be it by hardware, software, or both, doesn't emit any more emissions than it did from the factory.
    I remember a while back when I was a smog check guru they were going to go to the IM240. That was a dyno test that simulated a complete drive cycle. Instead they went with the 15mph and 25mph test. Later of course they went OBDII. That is nothing more than an onboard dyno test that runs all the time in a PCM/ECM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by madmatt9471 View Post
    Hib,

Whether or not it's going to be "simple" will depend on how modified the car is.
    There is no "stock" tune for a C6 auto with 3.42s and different tires. The only solution I can suggest, is flash the ECM with a stock cal (ie: for your stock axle ratio and stock tires) and see what happens. Sadly, my gut feeling is that i think you are in deep s**t because you're looking at changing rear drive units and gong back to stock tires, but never say "Never"...the situation could change but currently, I believe that's the fix you are in
    That's been addressed in outer members' posts to this thread.
    No
    Again, that's been answered by others here.

I welcome your feedback.

Thanks,Matt
    You're welcome. Glad to be of service.

P.S. Vote "Yes" on recalling Gov Newsom. Maybe a conservative administration would consider reining-in CARB and the BAR.
    Hib Halverson
    Just Another Tuner in Training.

06MonteSS

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, Custom paint-matched Bowtie emblems, Custom painted SS emblems, BMR strut tower brace, CAI - Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Bo White Ported/Polished throttle body, Custom DiabLew Tune

Tuner in Training
    This one sucks and looks to be difficult to get out of unless there is a check sum editor/writer available. I imagine there will be a ton of disputes with 50 state legal handheld tuners as well. But do you really want to take your vehicle to a referee to go over it with a fine tooth comb?

I better call the shop that has my truck and tell them to halt the work that was planned! Looks like I'll be going back to stock.

The impact that that this will have on the aftermarket shops around CA is going to be huge. Just another step to push us towards electric vehicles it seems.

Advanced Tuner
    My question is, is doing a "write entire" with your original read enough to satisfy the check?

They must be identifying illegal tunes by CVN, which could be easy enough to patch around really, as long as you have a way to read/write the ECU and patch the code your self... Obviously HPTuners isn't going to add a code patch for that.

Seems like a pretty easy way to get around the check, but not something just anyone can do.

But if just flashing back to stock is enough, then this isn't any more of a problem than smog checks in the past were, where you put all your stock hardware on and get checked. A big pain, but works?

Not that I need to do this, I don't live there, never will. I would imagine that eventually all states will start doing this at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Seishuku View Post
    My question is, is doing a "write entire" with your original read enough to satisfy the check?

They must be identifying illegal tunes by CVN, which could be easy enough to patch around really, as long as you have a way to read/write the ECU and patch the code your self... Obviously HPTuners isn't going to add a code patch for that.

Seems like a pretty easy way to get around the check, but not something just anyone can do.

But if just flashing back to stock is enough, then this isn't any more of a problem than smog checks in the past were, where you put all your stock hardware on and get checked. A big pain, but works?

Not that I need to do this, I don't live there, never will. I would imagine that eventually all states will start doing this at some point.
    So if you have a "Patch" for the CVN's you just became a VERY wealthy person. Oh and yes if you do a write entire with the stock file you will be good to go after your drive cycle to set the monitors.

Advanced Tuner
    Good to know on writing a stock file, the way some of the articles I've read, it sounded like it would have to be a full flash by dealer level tools to get it to comply with CA rules.

But no, I don't have a patch... Just speaking hypothetically.
    I've seen some pretty amazing assembly patches for MED17 ECUs in the VW/Audi community that do similar things (manipulate OBD2 data), just seems like it would be fairly simple task for someone with that knowledge.

Senior Tuner
    It's already been figured out on the P01 and P59 PCMs. I've seen screen shots that look legit.

Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    It's already been figured out on the P01 and P59 PCMs. I've seen screen shots that look legit.

Senior Tuner
    I wouldn't hold your breath that this is going to be something commercially available to everyone. What I saw was probably done by a hacker that knows his way around a binary file. Yes there are plenty of ways to get the raw .bin out of a PCM. What I saw was a screen shot of the calibration details page in HP Tuners for a P59 PCM that showed the main OS number with it's correct CVN and then every segment number after that displaying 12345678 and every CVN for those showing 1234. All I'm saying is based on the pic I saw someone has figured out how to do it. So don't PM me. I don't know anymore than that. And I'm not going to post the pic here either.