Thread: 05 Mustang 4.6, Just installed vortec and would love some direction

Tuner in Training

05 Mustang 4.6L 3v Vortech, LU47 data check, IPC error adjustments

Update
    I did my best to input the LU47 data but everything I have found on these injectors is for the coyote. I am hoping this is correct.
    I am also unclear where (and how) I am updating the IPC errors into torque tables. I am getting 300+ error at 3000 rpm and I basically have no power under that. Also I'm very confused by the inverse math but I think I just need to go over it again. I found the math calculator in the editor but I do not believe it is currently usable. I'm slowly working through it and reading every post I can find but honestly theres not a lot of good info on 3v. Attached are my tune and a easy-going log.

RedSuper timing.hpt21-07-25 21-09-14.hpl

Hey there y?all
    Been tuning on my car for about a year NA and recently ordered a vortec kit and installed it and now I?m ready to start tuning. Got my idle dialed in but I just wanted to make sure I?m not missing any crucial steps so I?m wondering if anyone has any tips for me or things I definitely shouldn?t overlook.

Also I?m super bummed all the modified tunes have been removed from the tune repository because it was so much easier to learn how to tune with examples and now I?m sort of in the dark.

I?ll post up my tune and a data log when this stupid windows update is done ��
    Last edited by stv_huff; 07-26-2021 at 07:51 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    In the tune make sure you have the changed the target AFR and timing, as well as expanded the required tables.

Start with tuning MAF if you changed it, make sure your loads are scaled properly and you have the correct injector data loaded. You will need to tune your LWFM to hit your tip in afr targets, you will want to tune inverse load, and lastly driver demand. This should get you something pretty driveable that will take boost and make descent power. You can reference my tune to get you started. If you need questions or help with histograms post up.

This tune is not going to work well for you, it is just intended to give you something to open up a comparison log on so you can get some idea of where you need to make changes.

3v whipple 3 5 21.hpt

Be conservative when you start, it is easy to dial in a little more timing, or a little less fuel as you tune, it is difficult to replace broken things.

I keep meaning to do a write up on what I have learned about tuning these, it really isn't that involved, so if something sounds ominous or needs clarification please post up so I can get the information on the forum. I really struggled to figure it out, but now that I have got the tune successfully setup I was just making things complicated and adjusting the wrong parameters.
    Last edited by B E N; 07-16-2021 at 12:02 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you so much for the reply and tips. I'm working on the tune tomorrow so I'll post up what I have then.

Advanced Tuner
    It can get a little frustrating, just work through it slow. Be easy on the throttle until you know for sure what is going on. You will get it, just takes some time.

These may help as well. It will be better if you take the time to understand the channels and layouts. It is bare bones, but should get you most/all of what you need.

5 21 channels.Channels.xml

5 21 channel layout.Layout.xml
    Last edited by B E N; 07-18-2021 at 09:19 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you so much for the direction. Right now I'm struggling to figure out whats going on with IPC error .I hit a cell with 1000+ so that really lost me because I don't even see how that kind of error is possible. I'm working through it and only doing short trips with low throttle around the block.

Advanced Tuner
    IPC error is normal when you are starting a tune from scratch. Change your IPC wheel torque error max to 300000. It will take some time to get that dialed in, and setting the max high will prevent it from going into limp mode while you are working. Just open up VCM editor, hit Ctrl+n to open the navigator and type in IPC. You will see it populate on the list. The IPC error won't hurt anything, and it will fall in place as you get everything else dialed in, you can back the number down later if you want to.

I got very distracted with IPC early, don't. It is something that happens due to other errors in the tune that you will fix as a side effect of dialing in the rest of your tune.
    Last edited by B E N; 07-27-2021 at 08:55 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Open your file and compare it to the changes I made to your tune using a different file. I downloaded Ben's channels and added a few more to his list.

5 21 channels-edited.Channels.Channels.xml
    stv-huff-edit.hpt

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwhite5.0 View Post
    Open your file and compare it to the changes I made to your tune using a different file. I downloaded Ben's channels and added a few more to his list.

5 21 channels-edited.Channels.Channels.xml
    stv-huff-edit.hpt
    Thank you for this. I see this is a much safer starting point for my tuning. I really appreciate yall replying. I'll be doing more research and tuning this week.

Advanced Tuner
    I didn't copy any of my notes the other day damn it.
    You didn't post very much info on your setup like CAI or MAF housing, exhaust, cats, just that it has a vortec kit. The changes in the file I sent was something basic for you to use and try on your torque/inverse. Injector data looks good.

You need to increase Max Calculated MAP in Speed Density Tab to maybe 55 inhg
    You can disable Torque Intervention in the Torque Tab.
    A few more changes would be needed still. IPC error is much different on 3v than 11+. It's not as sensitive and errors will show negative and positive and rarely ever will you have no errors on a 3v. You just have to tune and get yourself a good running car.

Advanced Tuner
    Thats interesting. I never changed the calc map max on my whipple tune. May be why the OP didn't change his.

Advanced Tuner
    That may be why. Do you log calculated map as well? OP is logging that channel and he's maxing the stock value which is why I suggested to raise it.

Advanced Tuner
    I haven't been tracking it. I will run a log and see what it looks like. I don't know if it will make much of a difference, car runs well at all throttle and boost levels. Couldn't hurt though, I am considering stepping up the pulley ratio.

if cylair filter and anticipation is off, then your not using calculated map/speed density therefore calc map max would be irrelevant. If it is on, then it is very relevant as hitting the max could/would clip your airflow registration as s/d looks 2 events to the future is my understanding. many tuners disable this on sc 3v's since the slopes are "unitless" and can be difficult to tune. I have been tuning my s/d with a calculator and histogram given/sold in a package to me and it seems to work well

Advanced Tuner
    Filter is on, anticipation is off. Interesting. I haven't messed with the tune in a while. Will look at it one of these days.