Thread: Question on tuning MAF only

Tuner

Question on tuning MAF only

Not Gen 5 specific but I have a question I hope someone can answer.

I'm running MAF only tune on E10. I used a WB to achieve .84 Lambdaggested for safe power. Question I had is there a calculation that you could use to tweak MAF table to change Lambda from say .84 to .86 or richer without having to reinstall WB?
    Last edited by DCZ; 07-16-2021 at 08:44 PM. Reason: changed eq to lambda

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DCZ View Post
    Not Gen 5 specific but I have a question I hope someone can answer.

I'm running MAF only tune on E10. I used a WB to achieve .84 EQ as suggested for safe power. Question I had is there a calculation that you could use to tweak MAF table to change EQ from say .84 to .86 or richer without having to reinstall WB?
    Your MAF table characterizes the MAF transfer function. If it is correctly measuring the airflow entering the engine(you did calibrate during steady state conditions?) then your EQ ratio can be changed to anything you want because the air flow measurement is correct, your fuel injectors are characterized correctly(if they are stock) and the EQ ratio is just a target table.

Tuner
    should have used Lambda not EQ in original post..

Yes, did the steady state MAF up to point of going OL.. I then purchased a WB to achieve a Lambda of .84 in OL.. I might ha
    ve this wrong but 02 sensors will keep maf @ lambda 1.0. Assuming no need to change CL portion of MAF table, wouldn't I be adding or reducing values to MAF scale to achieve desired Lambda desired in OL?

I thought there might be a simple calc move Lambda from .84 to .82 or any other value by using a formula..

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DCZ View Post
    should have used Lambda not EQ in original post..

Yes, did the steady state MAF up to point of going OL.. I then purchased a WB to achieve a Lambda of .84 in OL.. I might ha
    ve this wrong but 02 sensors will keep maf @ lambda 1.0. Assuming no need to change CL portion of MAF table, wouldn't I be adding or reducing values to MAF scale to achieve desired Lambda desired in OL?

I thought there might be a simple calc move Lambda from .84 to .82 or any other value by using a formula..
    The MAF reads airflow not lambda or eq ratio or AFR.

If your airflow model is correct(MAF) and your injector model is correct then all you need to do is change your target(lambda, or eq ratio or AFR) and it should hit your target. If it doesn't then your airflow model or your injector model or both are wrong.

Tuner
    So, even in MAF only tune, the EQ table is still used to determine requested EQ or Lambda or AFR?

Yeah. Doesn't matter if it's speed density or MAF tuned. The EQ ratio in PE will determine what the requested AFR/Lambda.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    Thanks for the help and clarification!!