Thread: MPVI Pro 1/2 standalone limits

MPVI Pro 1/2 standalone limits

Would it be possible to get some specs in terms of a rate limit of the # of PIDs that can be scanned effectively in the standalone mode?
    I realize that the rate may vary by the total number of PIDs, but even a ballpark number would be great.

These numbers are totally made up, but something like:
    30 PIDs @ 5Hz
    15 PIDs @ 20Hz
    10 PIDs @ 100Hz

If something has that through their own testing, that would be awesome.
    Thanks!

Advanced Tuner
    Depends on ECU / platform greatly. I did a breakdown of VAG / Simos 18 awhile back.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronc7 View Post
    Depends on ECU / platform greatly. I did a breakdown of VAG / Simos 18 awhile back.
    Thank you. I believe this is the thread you mean?
    That is valuable insight.
    In my experience, I am logging only mode 22 parameters with no set refresh (as fast as possible) and it seems like the PIDs at the top of the list have a greater refresh rate than the ones at the bottom (by eye).

How did you get your refresh rate? Was that off of another OBDII scanner?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    also depends on the PID type, for instance SAE params typically have a much slower polling rate than DMR's/MPIDs
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    additionally you can change the polling interval in the VCM Scanner channels display by right clicking on the pid you want to modify.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by brashendeavours View Post
    Thank you. I believe this is the thread you mean?
    That is valuable insight.
    In my experience, I am logging only mode 22 parameters with no set refresh (as fast as possible) and it seems like the PIDs at the top of the list have a greater refresh rate than the ones at the bottom (by eye).

How did you get your refresh rate? Was that off of another OBDII scanner?
    Open the .hpl in VCM scanner, export to CSV. UNCHECK interpolation. I use some basic excel formulas to "COUNT" the cells with updated values vs time to get refresh rate per PID and overall logging rate etc.

To get a little more into the weeds of looking at the OBD packets, Y-cable and software such as SavvyCAN. I've used both Tactrix OpenPort (J2534 device) and linux based SocketCAN (right now I have a Macchina P1).

Anyways, the big takeaway from that post was that there seems to be a bug (or undesirable effect at least) in how the scanner works. If you have 20x Mode $22 PIDs selected and 1x SAE PID selected....all logging at same the interval or max rate even... every other request will be for the SAE PID. And thus will absolutely kill the logging rate of the Mode $22 stuff.

The solution is to log about half Mode 22 and half SAE, or all Mode 22. I went to all Mode 22, but there's still a few SAE params I would love to log at a low refresh rate but I can't.

This is all made worse in standalone logging where things are generally a bit slower anyways. On Simos18, it was about 1/3 speed of VCM logging. This may have increased with newer firmware but I haven't tested since that post.

I actually just went to a different logging solution all together for now.

Sorry got a bit off topic there lol. Best option to see what's going on is export as CSV with interpolation turned off.