Thread: HELP.... gen 4 ls tuning... Ls swapped Wrangler

Tuner in Training

HELP.... gen 4 ls tuning... Ls swapped Wrangler

Hi all, new to forums and apologies if these questions have already been answered.
    I did an Ls swap into my 2010 wrangler. I purchased the harness and other conversion parts through rpm extreme and sourced my engine and trans from local salvage yard. The engine is a 5.3 LC9 with the 6L80E. I did a complete pull from an 2013 suburban. The swap went great and everything is now hooked up. I rebuilt the engine and deleted the AFM/DOD (new lifters, push rods and valve springs) and also swapped out the VVT cam for a 3 bolt cam I did everything to delete these components within the engine. I purchased these delete kits complete from Texas speed. The cam is a stage 2 truck cam 212/218 .600/.600, 112 lsa, 110 icl. I have not started the engine and I know I have to disable the VATS before it will run. I need some guidance on what to do next and some feedback on where to start with the tuning so I can get it running. Will it start with just disabling the vats and will it be safe to do so? Or do I need to do a complete tune before starting the engine? Further I want to learn how to do the tune but not sure were to start. also I'm not sure what type of ECU I have but it is the stock computer that came out of the suburban. trying to give as much info as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks!
    Last edited by patfish111; 07-19-2021 at 08:18 PM.

You need to go in and also turn off everything related to the AFM/DoD system otherwise it won't want to run on all 8 cylinders.

Disabled the master "switch" for the DoD system in the engine side. Then find all the related DTC codes in the engine diag tab and set those to no error reported with the SES box unchecked. You'll also need to turn off things for the EVAP system and rear o2 sensor and cat codes if you decided to not run those.

Then turn off the COT (cat over temp) in the engine side as well.

With that done it should start and run pretty well as is. It may also be a good idea to increase the base idle rpm from 550 to 700 at operating temp.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the quick response. I?m going to order an hp tuner tomorrow. Do I also have to disable anything with the VVT within the ECU?

Yes, that would need to be turned off as well. There is a camshaft selection spot that you'd change from one to none.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Awesome thanks, I?ll get the tuner ordered today

You should probably also consider getting a wideband, with the cam and possible intake changes during the swap you may need to calibrate your MAF and will definitely need to calibrate your VVE should you decide to run blended or SD only. I would recommend the AEM 30-0334 as it can plug into your OBD port and be read directly by Hp Tuners without calibration or Hp Tuners pro.

Tuner in Training
    Have you contacted RPM Extreme for help with a tune? I've been researching the same swap for my Jeep and it seems like they help with tuning if you buy their swap kit.

Tuner in Training
    Ya I contacted them. They?re weren?t able to help with my specific situation.