Thread: VNT turbo changing to Waste gate turbo....how can i control boost ?

VNT turbo changing to Waste gate turbo....how can i control boost ?

Hi everyone i have a ford ranger 2018 3.2 Diesle engine with factory ecu....I'm using hp tuner software to tune ecu....just wanted to see if there is a way to change the vnt turbo to a waste gatedd turbo and control boost at certain rpms ?

Vnt controlz boost by exhaust fins done via ELECTRICAL motor solenoid = ( No boost solenoid to bleed air off waste gate because vnt do not have a waste gate )

Waste turbos not going to explain how they control boost its pretty straight forward.

How are people adding waste gate turbos to oem ecus that dont have a boost solenoid to bleed off boost and control boost via waste gate? Are people just using waste gate pressure and letting the oem ecu add and remove fuel seen thru the map sensors table ?

I was thinking maybe there might be a way to convert vnt 5 wire electric solenoid to control a 3 wire boost solenoid to bleed off boost....i would imagine boost table would be very difficult to control because its not scaled in with the correct volts but is it possible?

Tuner in Training
    What sort of Tuning have you done previously? Petrol only?

Quote Originally Posted by Natedogg1986 View Post
    What sort of Tuning have you done previously? Petrol only?
    yeah petrol only....i ask this because alot of the Toyota 1kd diesel ecu's only had VNT turbos and a few people are still running stock ecu but waste gated turbo ?

Tuner
    What's the scenario[s] you think bleeding boost would be a necessary thing?
    Ian B
    '15 Holden VF SSVR L77(gone), '19 Ford Ranger PX3 3.2TD, '22 Toyota GDJ150

Tuner in Training
    VGT turbos can still be used to adjust boost levels. They just adjust the vanes to alter boost.

Only the very early 1KD run a gate turbo, rest are VGT.

Pointless conversion really.

Quote Originally Posted by Aus_spec_ranger View Post
    yeah petrol only....i ask this because alot of the Toyota 1kd diesel ecu's only had VNT turbos and a few people are still running stock ecu but waste gated turbo ?

VGT turbos can still be used to adjust boost levels. They just adjust the vanes to alter boost.

Only the very early 1KD run a gate turbo, rest are VGT.

Pointless conversion really.

sorry to say but u obviously don't know how VGT turbos choke top end power......also VGT have problems quicker controlling boost due to diesel soot and dont last as long as a gated turbo and Gated turbos are cheaper and make more power up top and sound better

there is 3 pros over a VGT

Quote Originally Posted by VFL77 View Post
    What's the scenario[s] you think bleeding boost would be a necessary thing?
    so i have a ford ranger 3.2 diesel and would like to control low boost at low RPM say 0.7 till 1.5 for driving on road @ 5 psi the slowly creep into the boost...also the rods will love me for it... and would like to have another map flashed a day before going 4x4 off road to have medium boost kick in at 0.7 rpm for a bit of down low power

Tuner
    I think you're over thinking things for a diesel.
    Fuel makes power, not air. Set the fuelling to the power level you want, then try and make sure there's enough air. A VGT turbo is helpful to get enough air when the fuel is light or being added. An excess of air is [almost always] not a problem. If you need more top end air, get a bigger turbo. Garrett make a boltin replacement one size larger, a GT22 instead of GT20.
    Ian B
    '15 Holden VF SSVR L77(gone), '19 Ford Ranger PX3 3.2TD, '22 Toyota GDJ150

Tuner in Training
    Sorry to say but you are not sure of your facts. VGT is superior to the gate. but you clearly know all as your here asking how to get it to work.

Sorry to say but tuning a Diesel is totally different to Petrol and it?s a turbos job to just keep the air pumping in a Diesel for cooling, not for power. Power comes from the amount of fuel entering.

You can roughly the same power from a diesel at 18 PSI AND 8 PSI if the fuel is the same. The issue is the EGT?s will be sky high in the low boost setting and cause damage to the engine. Boost is only there to reduce the EGT?s for the fuel amount.

You obviously know all that, that?s why your here??.

sorry to say but u obviously don't know how VGT turbos choke top end power......also VGT have problems quicker controlling boost due to diesel soot and dont last as long as a gated turbo and Gated turbos are cheaper and make more power up top and sound better

there is 3 pros over a VGT

Quote Originally Posted by VFL77 View Post
    I think you're over thinking things for a diesel.
    Fuel makes power, not air. Set the fuelling to the power level you want, then try and make sure there's enough air. A VGT turbo is helpful to get enough air when the fuel is light or being added. An excess of air is [almost always] not a problem. If you need more top end air, get a bigger turbo. Garrett make a boltin replacement one size larger, a GT22 instead of GT20.
    FAR OUT......i dont understand how hard it is for people to stay ONTOPIC.....i originally asked is it possible to add a GATED turbo on the ECU that uses VGT Simple question.
    i dont know why you have the need try and lecture me on how turbo effects power i know this....check my next post i will address Natedog ( another guy that cant stay on topic )

Sorry to say but you are not sure of your facts. VGT is superior to the gate. but you clearly know all as your here asking how to get it to work.

Sorry to say but tuning a Diesel is totally different to Petrol and it?s a turbos job to just keep the air pumping in a Diesel for cooling, not for power. Power comes from the amount of fuel entering.

You can roughly the same power from a diesel at 18 PSI AND 8 PSI if the fuel is the same. The issue is the EGT?s will be sky high in the low boost setting and cause damage to the engine. Boost is only there to reduce the EGT?s for the fuel amount.

You obviously know all that, that?s why your here??.
    No its you that dont know the Facts about VGT and think VGTs are the best
    VGT is not superior it has its downfall when an engine has a lot of exhaust back pressure ( diesel are notorious for this due to High CR ) the VGT turbo needs to CHOKE the exhaust pressure by making the fins smaller to control boost so it dosnt over boost.....when this happens burnt exhaust gases are not exiting thru the cylinder exhaust ports and stuck in the cylinder for the next engine cycle THUS killing some power....a gated turbo doses not do this.

VGT are only good down low like 0.2 to 1.2 rpm they can make boost quicker down low on partial throttle ....gated turbos cant really do this
    VGT's are mainly used on diesel for fuel economy.

Yes i know Diesel tuning is different to petrol....Increased turbo CFM air is for POWER.....????? far out i don't want to go down this road explaining the facts for this but i will explain so we can get an answer for the main topic of this forum.

More CFM means more air density more air density with added fuel means MORE POWER....simple

and NO with more 18psi of air compare to 8psi there will be a drop in power and EGT's depending if AFR isn't changed.

Natedogg1986 " You obviously know all that, that?s why your here??. " Um are you that proud that you cant see you went off topic to TRY and answer a Question I NEVER ASKED ? ?

AGAIN if you cant stay on topic please don't give your 2 cents on WHY you think VGT is better then Gated..... I DONT CARE please move along if you cant answer the question on TOPIC
    Last edited by Aus_spec_ranger; 07-25-2021 at 04:06 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Your reply shows your complete lack of knowledge. VGT's use the fin angles to decrease spool time and increase boost at low RPM. As the RPM increase the fin angles are reduced due to the increase in velocity from the exhaust speed, so the direction of the exhaust is not needed to be modified for boost creation.

Clearly never tuned a Diesel, your descriptions are a Petrol tuner trying to play with something they do not understand. Better get that AFR sensor in the exhaust to tune the AFR's. Diesels don't work like that. Do your research before playing expert next time.

The answer is in your question in the first post. Trying to get solenoid control from a motor rotation signal. Anyone with a bit on knowledge knows the answer there.

No its you that dont know the Facts about VGT and think VGTs are the best
    VGT is not superior it has its downfall when an engine has a lot of exhaust back pressure ( diesel are notorious for this due to High CR ) the VGT turbo needs to CHOKE the exhaust pressure by making the fins smaller to control boost so it dosnt over boost.....when this happens burnt exhaust gases are not exiting thru the cylinder exhaust ports and stuck in the cylinder for the next engine cycle THUS killing some power....a gated turbo doses not do this.

VGT are only good down low like 0.2 to 1.2 rpm they can make boost quicker down low on partial throttle ....gated turbos cant really do this
    VGT's are mainly used on diesel for fuel economy.

Yes i know Diesel tuning is different to petrol....Increased turbo CFM air is for POWER.....????? far out i don't want to go down this road explaining the facts for this but i will explain so we can get an answer for the main topic of this forum.

More CFM means more air density more air density with added fuel means MORE POWER....simple

and NO with more 18psi of air compare to 8psi there will be a drop in power and EGT's depending if AFR isn't changed.

Natedogg1986 " You obviously know all that, that?s why your here??. " Um are you that proud that you cant see you went off topic to TRY and answer a Question I NEVER ASKED ? ?

AGAIN if you cant stay on topic please don't give your 2 cents on WHY you think VGT is better then Gated..... I DONT CARE please move along if you cant answer the question on TOPIC
    Last edited by Natedogg1986; 07-25-2021 at 04:56 AM.

Your reply shows your complete lack of knowledge. VGT's use the fin angles to decrease spool time and increase boost at low RPM. As the RPM increase the fin angles are reduced due to the increase in velocity from the exhaust speed, so the direction of the exhaust is not needed to be modified for boost creation.

Clearly never tuned a Diesel, your descriptions are a Petrol tuner trying to play with something they do not understand. Better get that AFR sensor in the exhaust to tune the AFR's. Diesels don't work like that. Do your research before playing expert next time.

The answer is in your question in the first post. Trying to get solenoid control from a motor rotation signal. Anyone with a bit on knowledge knows the answer there.

Natedog " The answer is in your question in the first post. Trying to get solenoid control from a motor rotation signal. Anyone with a bit on knowledge knows the answer there "

so i clearly explained you cant control gated turbos with no Solenoid....and you miss it agian...your really good at starting pointless arguments

If AFR are not important why are all the top tuners using them ? for FUN ? AND NO NOOOO PLEASE GOD NO DONT GIVE ME THE LECTURE ON DIESEL FUELING I KNOW YOU CAN TUNE WITH OUT A AFR.....i was using a AFR how adding more boost leans out and egt's fall off THUS POWER falls off too

Natedong if you reply i will not reply to your messages..... its a simple Yes no answer to my first question. and i know now your answer is No good move along
    Last edited by Aus_spec_ranger; 07-25-2021 at 09:42 AM. Reason: typo error

Tuner in Training
    There is a reason this subject has gone on for so long and that there are people saying it like it is.

The VGT is better and you can?t reason with an idiot.

Hence why we are where we are, however many comments down the hole of something you were told is pointless.

Natedog " The answer is in your question in the first post. Trying to get solenoid control from a motor rotation signal. Anyone with a bit on knowledge knows the answer there "

so i clearly explained you cant control gated turbos with no Solenoid....and you miss it agian...your really good at starting pointless arguments

If AFR are not important why are all the top tuners using them ? for FUN ? AND NO NOOOO PLEASE GOD NO DONT GIVE ME THE LECTURE ON DIESEL FUELING I KNOW YOU CAN TUNE WITH OUT A AFR.....i was using a AFR how adding more boost leans out and egt's fall off THUS POWER falls off too

Natedong if you reply i will not reply to your messages..... its a simple Yes no answer to my first question. and i know now your answer is No good move along

so has anyone found out how to wire in the 5 wire plug that connects to a VGT turbo to work with a 3 wire 3 port boost solenoid ?
    this is the only way around using a stock ecu that was originally running a VGT turbo to work with a Gated turbo ?

Tuner in Training
    Looks like this thread is as pointless???..

Wonder how much power the Diesel would produce at 5PSI. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

so has anyone found out how to wire in the 5 wire plug that connects to a VGT turbo to work with a 3 wire 3 port boost solenoid ?
    this is the only way around using a stock ecu that was originally running a VGT turbo to work with a Gated turbo ?