Thread: First time tuning GEN 5 LT1 Z51 C7

Tuner

First time tuning GEN 5 LT1 Z51 C7

Hey guys,

This is my first time tuning a gen 5,
    I have attached a log and tune file

I am having issues with the base timing at WOT being low.
    I believe it has to do with DD torque being lower than actual engine torque.
    I will adjust the DD table @ 100% throttle position and retest.

Am I going in the right direction?

Car is a 15 c7 lt1 manual z51
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Cranked Automotive; 07-21-2021 at 11:47 PM.

I do remote tuning for individual and shops all over the world.. let me know if I can help.. modding the 100% row of the DD is not really the best way to accomplish what you want

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranked Automotive View Post
    Hey guys,

This is my first time tuning a gen 5,
    I have attached a log and tune file

I am having issues with the base timing at WOT being low.
    I believe it has to do with DD torque being lower than actual engine torque.
    I will adjust the DD table @ 100% throttle position and retest.

Am I going in the right direction?

Car is a 15 c7 lt1 manual z51
    That log isn't showing anything, do you have a better one?

What has been done to the car?

Is the ECM closing the throttle and pulling timing? Log peak torque, max torque and delivered torque.
    If you log all reported predicted and immediate torque sources and values while logging you should be able to find out why the ECM is closing the throttle or pulling timing.

Ben is right that modifying the driver demand table 100% row isn't the best solution to keep the ECM from pulling timing or closing the throttle, you will need to figure out what is causing the torque reduction and then adjust the appropriate table.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillactech View Post
    That log isn't showing anything, do you have a better one?

What has been done to the car?

Is the ECM closing the throttle and pulling timing? Log peak torque, max torque and delivered torque.
    If you log all reported predicted and immediate torque sources and values while logging you should be able to find out why the ECM is closing the throttle or pulling timing.

Ben is right that modifying the driver demand table 100% row isn't the best solution to keep the ECM from pulling timing or closing the throttle, you will need to figure out what is causing the torque reduction and then adjust the appropriate table.
    -----
    Sorry the log didn't save as I thought it would.
    I have now uploaded the full log.
    The ecm timing of "base advance" is the issue here.
    Throttle is not closing.

Car has Long tubes/xpipe.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Cranked Automotive; 07-21-2021 at 11:49 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    -----
    Sorry the log didn't save as I thought it would.
    I have now uploaded the full log.
    The ecm timing of "base advance" is the issue here.
    Throttle is not closing.

Car has Long tubes/xpipe.
    You have 5-7 degrees knock on a few of those pulls. It is very possible to be false knock but you want to be sure. That is where your timing is going.

What gas are you using? I don't see a wide band in your log, do you have on hooked up on the car? This would be the first thing, verify that you are getting what you are commanding fuel wise.

You may need to desensitize the knock sensors with the long tubes but make sure you aren't actually lean. Also, you should zero our your PE RPM Delay and may need to increase the enrichment ramp in a bit but lets get a wide band on it first.

Peak torque tables may need to be increased once you get the knock under control and are making more torque, ECM may close the throttle on you.

Tuner
    You have 5-7 degrees knock on a few of those pulls. It is very possible to be false knock but you want to be sure. That is where your timing is going.

What gas are you using? I don't see a wide band in your log, do you have on hooked up on the car? This would be the first thing, verify that you are getting what you are commanded fuel wise.

You may need to desensitize the knock sensors with the long tubes but make sure you aren't actually lean. Also, you should zero our your PE RPM Delay and may need to increase the enrichment ramp in a bit but lets get a wide band on it first.

Peak torque tables may need to be increased once you get the knock under control and are making more torque, ECM may close the throttle on you.

94 octane, no ethanol.
    Is the GM knock PID not the opposite of the coyote, and positive knock value equals more advanced timing for the GM platform???

Advanced Tuner
    94 octane, no ethanol.
    Is the GM knock PID not the opposite of the coyote, and positive knock value equals more advanced timing for the GM platform???
    If there is knock retard displayed, that is the amount of timing the ECM is pulling from base advance because of detected knock.

Advanced Tuner

What gas are you using? I don't see a wide band in your log, do you have on hooked up on the car? This would be the first thing, verify that you are getting what you are commanding fuel wise.

I forgot to say, desensitize the knock sensors only as a last resort, there could be many things causing knock or false knock that you want to make sure of before you change the knock sensor settings.

Is there a wide band hooked up?