Thread: What the heck is closing my ETC!!!!

What the heck is closing my ETC!!!!

I've been trying to figure this out for so long I'm pulling my hair out.

The only time I can prevent my ETC from closing is by disabling Traction Control. This truck (2018 GMC Denali 6.2l w/unlocked T87A 8l90e) is boltons only (ZL1 95mm TB). I have hired two tuners that couldn't resolve it as well...

001_ECM_Fresh Clean Start Chase's 2018 Denali.hpt001_TCM_Fresh Clean Start Chase's 2018 Denali.hpt001_ECM_Fresh Clean Start Chase's 2018 Denali.hpt21-08-05 15-00-42.hpl21-08-05 14-35-01.hpl

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase08 View Post
    I've been trying to figure this out for so long I'm pulling my hair out.

The only time I can prevent my ETC from closing is by disabling Traction Control. This truck (2018 GMC Denali 6.2l w/unlocked T87A 8l90e) is boltons only (ZL1 95mm TB). I have hired two tuners that couldn't resolve it as well...

001_ECM_Fresh Clean Start Chase's 2018 Denali.hpt001_TCM_Fresh Clean Start Chase's 2018 Denali.hpt001_ECM_Fresh Clean Start Chase's 2018 Denali.hpt21-08-05 15-00-42.hpl21-08-05 14-35-01.hpl
    You need to log Max Torque parameter when this is happening, can you take another log with MAX, PEAK and Delivered/Engine torque?

Quote Originally Posted by cadillactech View Post
    You need to log Max Torque parameter when this is happening, can you take another log with MAX, PEAK and Delivered/Engine torque?
    Max Tq.jpg
    Yes sir, I just added Max Tq but all other Tq parameters were already selected. Thank you, I'll log that and repost...

Tuner
    Looked at log and file, at 5,000 rpm your peak engine torque is at 637 lb ft in the log and in your file the limit is at 637 lb ft at 5,000 rpm under torque management> general>limit vs rpm> peak torque. Try adjusting that?
    2000 WS6 Trans Am LS3, Tick Performance Stage 2 cam, ARH 1 7/8" Headers, FLT Level 6 4L60e, Circle D 5c Launching on a 200K 10 Bolt

2001 Camaro SS M6 Black on Black

Quote Originally Posted by 01SLPSSM6 View Post
    Looked at log and file, at 5,000 rpm your peak engine torque is at 637 lb ft in the log and in your file the limit is at 637 lb ft at 5,000 rpm under torque management> general>limit vs rpm> peak torque. Try adjusting that?
    Awesome, I?ll try that. Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by cadillactech View Post
    21-08-06 14-35-01.hplLog with Max Tq

I guess I should also be more clear, I want timing only for Torque Management/reduction during shifts/etc..

Advanced Tuner
    I find these issues are usually related to a couple of trans tqm settings as well as a need to get "max torque" up higher.

This file wouldn't be intended as a final for you if it works, but kind of a proof of concept. A quick and dirty way to raise "max torque" is to raise vve, so that's all I did here. You should really tune the virtual torque tables if this has an effect.

That being said, traction control on these trucks can be really intrusive, so this may never be fully resolved with it enabled. See how this goes though. I went ahead and combined your ecm and tcm files because having them separate is cumbersome.

throttle_try.hpt

Quote Originally Posted by sevinn View Post
    I find these issues are usually related to a couple of trans tqm settings as well as a need to get "max torque" up higher.

This file wouldn't be intended as a final for you if it works, but kind of a proof of concept. A quick and dirty way to raise "max torque" is to raise vve, so that's all I did here. You should really tune the virtual torque tables if this has an effect.

That being said, traction control on these trucks can be really intrusive, so this may never be fully resolved with it enabled. See how this goes though. I went ahead and combined your ecm and tcm files because having them separate is cumbersome.

throttle_try.hpt
    I?ll test this out, thank you!

throttle_try.hpt
    Also, How do you combine the ECM & TCM?

Advanced Tuner
    Also, How do you combine the ECM & TCM?
    Open your engine file. Ctrl + D, go to controllers, click "add controller" and browse to your trans file and then follow the instructions for saving.

Similar works if you want to remove a controller (such as tcm/ccm) from a tune. Same place you just click where it says "double click to remove" on whichever controller you want.

Open your engine file. Ctrl + D, go to controllers, click "add controller" and browse to your trans file and then follow the instructions for saving.

Similar works if you want to remove a controller (such as tcm/ccm) from a tune. Same place you just click where it says "double click to remove" on whichever controller you want.
    Awesome!

21-08-10 14-55-02.hplHere's the log running the try file, it still closes the ETC...throttle_try.hpt
    21-08-10 14-55-02.hplthrottle_try.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    tq mgmt changes.hpt

Try this. Your 1-2 shift shows the axle as being the source of torque management. This will eliminate some sources of confusion. Pull a compare file to view differences

Quote Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
    tq mgmt changes.hpt

Try this. Your 1-2 shift shows the axle as being the source of torque management. This will eliminate some sources of confusion. Pull a compare file to view differences
    Ok, cool. I just made the same changes to test later today. Thanks!

Advanced Tuner
    21-08-10 14-55-02.hplHere's the log running the try file, it still closes the ETC...throttle_try.hpt
    21-08-10 14-55-02.hplthrottle_try.hpt
    Max torque didn't really raise like I thought it would, but the changes I made seemed to make the throttle close much more abrubt. I'd keep leaning in that direction as this is still the culprit more than likely. Your max torque needs to be above engine torque by a good bit...and it's not. I'd probably try to get it raised another 15-20% (and raise peak torque if you need to) and see what happens.

Also, please always test with traction control off. If it spins during a shift or it's going to command alot of shift pressure it will close etc. We don't have granular control of that type of stuff like we do with 6 speeds.
    Last edited by sevinn; 08-11-2021 at 04:24 PM.

Max torque didn't really raise like I thought it would, but the changes I made seemed to make the throttle close much more abrubt. I'd keep leaning in that direction as this is still the culprit more than likely. Your max torque needs to be above engine torque by a good bit...and it's not. I'd probably try to get it raised another 15-20% (and raise peak torque if you need to) and see what happens.

Also, please always test with traction control off. If it spins during a shift or it's going to command alot of shift pressure it will close etc. We don't have granular control of that type of stuff like we do with 6 speeds.
    So, after testing it is only doing this with TCS enabled. I?m beginning to wonder if my shift pressure is set too high as you stated above. It does spin during these events so maybe I can try taking some shift pressure out and see if that helps?