Thread: PCM Swap info /help on HSV GTO

Potential Tuner

PCM Swap info /help on HSV GTO

Hey guys this may be longwinded, and it may have been asked / put to rest already if so please just point me in the right direction. Basically I want to install an e38 ECM in a 2004 GTO to run a gen 4 motor with a 58x reluctor and dbw throttle. I saw one person post about how Holden did it directly from the factory in 2006 on a V8 commodore but thats an Aus vehicle and would likely be difficult to source parts. Basically I need to know if I can depin the connectors and repin them for the e38. I want everything on the dash to function properly with the swap. Would a Tech2 be able to marry the system together to function properly? Has anyone done this? Can it be done!? Thanks guys, hoping someone with more knowledge then me has some insight!

None of the existing modules in the car will understand E38-speak, and there is no E38 OS that can speak GTO. But 58x engine with a 24x PCM is easy: https://www.lingenfelter.com/product/L460065397.html

Potential Tuner
    I know I can use the converter for the reluctor, but the reason for the e38 is so I can run flex fuel. It has an 0411 pcm in it which I don?t believe supports dbw (correct me if I?m wrong). Is it not a matter of reference voltage to specific parts of the car for it to communicate?

I've drafted and scrapped about 4 replies so far trying to find the best way to explain this, I give up.

AND BESIDES, '04 GTO should have a P59, not 0411/P01.

Potential Tuner
    Ok so if I use the stock pcm I don?t need to adjust anything in the car which isn?t a bad route but can that pcm be tuned for flex fuel? The car is set up for dbc, am I stuck with that? The motor is a gen 4 6.0 with front mount cam sensor and 58x reluctor. Knock sensors on the sides. Right now my intake has a dbw throttle body on it now. I could get another one that?s dbc. Is there any reason I wouldn?t want dbc? Everything I?ve had up to this point has been dbw. Is it harder or easier to tune than the e38?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Stock View Post
    Ok so if I use the stock pcm I don?t need to adjust anything in the car which isn?t a bad route but can that pcm be tuned for flex fuel? The car is set up for dbc, am I stuck with that? The motor is a gen 4 6.0 with front mount cam sensor and 58x reluctor. Knock sensors on the sides. Right now my intake has a dbw throttle body on it now. I could get another one that?s dbc. Is there any reason I wouldn?t want dbc? Everything I?ve had up to this point has been dbw. Is it harder or easier to tune than the e38?
    Here's what you need to do.
    Purchase the Lingenfelter conversion box. Install a drive by cable throttle body on the GEN 4 engine. Then have it tuned. The P59 computer can handle flexfuel as well.
    This is a straightforward swap.

I'm running a GENIV engine in my 2004 GTO with Flex Fuel enabled on my stock P59 computer. I'm also using the 58x to 24x box.