Thread: Tuner MIA - Issue with Tuning Fans

Potential Tuner

Tuner MIA - Issue with Tuning Fans

Hello HP Tuners Forum,

My apologies in advance for the newbie post, but my tuner went MIA and left me holding the bag of you know what. I recently got my LSA on the road and he provided a base tune (attached) it runs decent and I'm able to drive it cautiously around town. I'm getting ready to give it a go on a road trip, but my fans come on way too late (sensor is reading around 210) and shutoff around 205. So they are coming on and off way to often in my opinion. When they are running full time they can easily cool it down to 190 in 95 degree heat outside.

I'm able to read and write tunes, but I'm unable to update the fan temp on/off correctly. I've tried multiple times to adjust the fan settings, but I've been unsuccessful and I'm hoping the collective group can help. And yes, I've read and read and read and I I'm obviously missing something. Please let me know and any/all help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    tell me if that helps
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    fan desired.jpg

You can adjust what percentage the fans come on with this table. Have you tried doing this?

If you think they come on too late, add some percentage at a cooler ECT and maybe not have them turn on 100% until a hotter coolant temp so they don't over cool. You will have to play around a bit with this as every set up is different.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Pushrod_LS View Post
    tell me if that helps
    Yes what he changed should give you a good start!

Potential Tuner
    Thank you Pushrod_LS and cadillactech!! Very much appreciate you getting me going in the right direction. I feel like I've been stranded on an island with no paddle - tuner just vanished and I've been left to figure it out on my own. Can't thank you both enough.

Pushrod_LS - I'll load the tune tomorrow as-is and take it for a spin. Thank you for looking over the tune and providing something for me to go from. Based on the feedback from Cadillactech and your info, I'm assuming I need to adjust both the (Fan%) and the Enable/Disable values to get it right?

My sincerest thanks for your input and assistance.

Tuner
    Cool Car! My brother has a 66 Impala with a turbocharged 468 BBC. You need to adjust the desired% vs ect , the enable/disable is for the ignition OFF settings. You might want to find a new tuner anyways, i took a quick look and i know its a base file, but the maf table is very choppy, VE table is still stock. Not sure which fuel injectors you have or how your fuel system is setup, but i doubt your injectors flow exactly 127 lb/hr, guessing the injectors are bigger and he didn't want to scale the tune ( the lb/hr limit is 127 lb/hr before you have to scale them)
    2000 WS6 Trans Am LS3, Tick Performance Stage 2 cam, ARH 1 7/8" Headers, FLT Level 6 4L60e, Circle D 5c Launching on a 200K 10 Bolt

2001 Camaro SS M6 Black on Black

The settings for relay ('discrete') fans is kinda tricky. The numbers in the Desired % vs X tables are just trigger points as defined in the State vs Desired table. Above the number for 0>1 it turns on, below the number for 1>0 it turns off.

Variable speed PWM fans are much easier, what you put in the box is what you get. Relay fans make my head hurt.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you 01SLPSSM6 and blindsquirrel for the additional input. And yes, I plan on having an experienced tuner perform some updates. It's a built motor - all forged bottom and pistons, stage 3 BTR cam, BTR rods/springs, Upper and lower pulleys, ID1050XDS injectors. I'm new to LS's, so this is all from recommendations of others and I'm just trying to make sure I get it done right. Finding solid people these days is more of a headache than anything else.

I really appreciate the input and I'm going to give these new settings a try. Again, thank you for the feedback and support.

BTW - 01SLPSSM6, if you offer any remote tuning services and want to correct anything in my tune, I'd be willing to toss you some money to look it over.

Tuner
    Hey Jettob, thank you for asking, but to be honest im really backed up with work right now. If you want to let me know how your fuel system is setup, i can help you get your fuel injector data and other things straightened out. I only have time late in the evenings to get on here. Send me a pm if you would like.
    2000 WS6 Trans Am LS3, Tick Performance Stage 2 cam, ARH 1 7/8" Headers, FLT Level 6 4L60e, Circle D 5c Launching on a 200K 10 Bolt

2001 Camaro SS M6 Black on Black