Thread: Cannot read vehicle tune "Controller Unlock: x36 Exceed Number of attempts

Tuner

Cannot read vehicle tune "Controller Unlock: x36 Exceed Number of attempts

Hi All,
    I'm trying to read the tune off a 2001 LS1 commodore PCM and I can get the hardware data, but when it tries to read it comes up with "Failed" and an error saying "Controller Unlock: x36 Exceed Number of attempts"

It's not a stock tune, and the OS says its 1290005 which is an EFILive OS, but I read that HPTuners can read these now.

Is this a sign that it's locked and I'm never going to be able to use this PCM?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    ecm is tunerlocked and needs to be replaced with one that isn't.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    looking for more info on this. I have a customer that I got this error on, replaced ECM and was able to tune the vehicle. After multiple revisions I am now getting the same error message and the ecu is NOT tuner locked.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by tirefryin_s10 View Post
    looking for more info on this. I have a customer that I got this error on, replaced ECM and was able to tune the vehicle. After multiple revisions I am now getting the same error message and the ecu is NOT tuner locked.
    X36 is a generic error code that basically says the seed/key algo is not stock(ie tunerlocked), most common read is the ecm being tunerlocked, less common reason would be a corrupt ecm.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    X36 is a generic error code that basically says the seed/key algo is not stock(ie tunerlocked), most common read is the ecm being tunerlocked, less common reason would be a corrupt ecm.
    This same thing has happened in this truck with two different ecms. Neither one were locked and both were tuned and then this error came up after multiple revisions.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    This same thing has happened in this truck with two different ecms. Neither one were locked and both were tuned and then this error came up after multiple revisions.
    If they weren't tunerlocked then they are likely corrupted due to flashing an incompatible file.

Tuner in Training
    If they weren't tunerlocked then they are likely corrupted due to flashing an incompatible file.
    The ecu was read out and then modified and re -written (not write entire) it worked just fine for about 10 modifications/write process then locked up.

Tuner in Training
    Any more info or help with this?

We have had the same issue on multiple ECU's. The files are NOT locked but after a few flashes it would give the same error.

Process was:

Swap Ecu
    Pull stock file from ecu
    License file
    Make a few changes
    Load back to ecu.
    make a few revisions
    Ecu locks up and cant communicate but still runs the truck fine.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Any more info or help with this?

We have had the same issue on multiple ECU's. The files are NOT locked but after a few flashes it would give the same error.

Process was:

Swap Ecu
    Pull stock file from ecu
    License file
    Make a few changes
    Load back to ecu.
    make a few revisions
    Ecu locks up and cant communicate but still runs the truck fine.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...ashing-warning

Tuner in Training
    I did not have an incompatible OS unless it came that way from GM. Simply pulled it out modified and reloaded it .... did this a few times and then it locks.

Potential Tuner
    Ive had the same issue on 2 separate E38s using MPVI 2. Just installed the latest updates a few days ago.

Ill pull the tune, make an adjustment and write fine multiple times. Then, I make an adjustment and write as normal but if I try to read or write the PCM I now get the X36 error. I was able to write the TCM as normal.

This is my second E38, but I drove the car to work today. Both ECMs will operate the vehicle I just cannot read/ write the tune anymore. I made sure my windows 10 was up to date this morning.

Sounds like the same problem as the above posts. The only change Ive made to the car is Im no longer disconnecting the battery every night.
    Last edited by Bmaxwell; 10-01-2022 at 05:29 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Update*

I tried disconnecting the battery for a few hours and it didnt help.
    Tried the last 2 versions of the editor (4.12.4.0) which is what I was using and also (4.10.7.0) and the older beta versions I had. No change.

I have not changed the operating system on the pcm. This is the 2nd pcm that I pulled the stock tune from and have only modified that tune in stages, then boom it decides its not going to read or write anymore with the X36 error. I hooked the MPVI2 up to another truck and it read right away. My scanner works as it should. Like I said this is the 2nd pcm with the same issue in 3 days, truck is still running and driving well but I cant adjust the tune.
    I also made sure I didnt accidentally put a tuner lock on sense thats how its acting. All tunes say unlocked and Ive tried the security keys anyways when trying to read or write. Tried writing old or stock tunes nothing works. I dont want to have this happen a 3rd time on another pcm. Less than 10 edits on a pcm and it was great until it wasnt
    Last edited by Bmaxwell; 10-02-2022 at 03:39 AM.

Potential Tuner
    *update 2

I downloaded the TDN app for temporary gauges on my phone. I was able to communicate and pull a tune file using the MPVI2+ with that app, but not through the VCM editor. I dont see how it could be an OS issue when it hasn?t changed.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmaxwell View Post
    Ive had the same issue on 2 separate E38s using MPVI 2. Just installed the latest updates a few days ago.

Ill pull the tune, make an adjustment and write fine multiple times. Then, I make an adjustment and write as normal but if I try to read or write the PCM I now get the X36 error. I was able to write the TCM as normal.

This is my second E38, but I drove the car to work today. Both ECMs will operate the vehicle I just cannot read/ write the tune anymore. I made sure my windows 10 was up to date this morning.

Sounds like the same problem as the above posts. The only change Ive made to the car is Im no longer disconnecting the battery every night.
    Original poster is having an issue with a P01 ecm, completely different from yours. If you are having an issue with your E38 ecm I would recommend you start a separate thread about your specific issue or contact support directly for assistance.