Thread: OIl and trans temp

OIl and trans temp

Are these values able to be logged on Gen 4? The channels are available in Scanner, but the values are bogus.

I'm I missing something?
    '07 TBSS. 3SS, 2wd, 402ci, BTR STG 3 cam, Speed LTs w/ catless Y-pipe, HD Spal fans
    '04 DMAX,NOT STOCK!

I think it depends on the vehicle and computer.

Some vehicles do not have a oil temp sensor. Most trucks have a transmission temp sensor in the valve body so that one should read I believe.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

I got the EOT to work with the "calc" channel, but I can't find a similar one for the Trans if it exists.
    '07 TBSS. 3SS, 2wd, 402ci, BTR STG 3 cam, Speed LTs w/ catless Y-pipe, HD Spal fans
    '04 DMAX,NOT STOCK!

Calculated/estimated values will not help you since nobody knows what actual values the ECM is using to do the estimatin'. I think you're better off not even looking at channels like that.

There is a real physical sensor in the transmission that reports real data. Name is 'Trans Fluid Temp'.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Calculated/estimated values will not help you since nobody knows what actual values the ECM is using to do the estimatin'. I think you're better off not even looking at channels like that.

There is a real physical sensor in the transmission that reports real data. Name is 'Trans Fluid Temp'.
    I'm more concerned with temp drop after heat exchanger install that actual temp. If it's calculating per some formula, it will show a drop of some sort.

Trans fluid temp registers something like -32*. Not a chance this time of year in Phoenix..
    '04 DMAX,NOT STOCK!

If the TFT is reporting -32 then it's broken. You should probably fix it, or verify with a real scan tool and not something intended as a tuning aid that the sensor is working and reporting correct data to the ECM. HP Tuners is not a replacement for multi-thousand dollar diagnostic tools. Why do so many people think it should work that way?

screenshot.03-08-2021 17.00.49.png

Service info says there is a scan tool parameter called 'Engine Oil Temperature Calculated' but gives the description as: "This parameter displays the temperature of the engine oil." IT DOES NOT, as there is no discrete physical sensor, it's just guessing based on... who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    IT DOES NOT
    Just to be clear, I'm yelling at the eSI authors and not at you. The correct description for that PID would be something like: "Engine Oil Temp is calculated based on a weighted average blah blah blah using the formula [pointless dumb formula here]..."